PDA

View Full Version : Admiral Robyn I"m ready to Join Your Fleet

darkroad
04-13-2007, 21:34
Robyn I find out now that I am in the same boat you are. After getting my low milage military block on the stand and out in the sunlight low and behold it too has several small cracks. I was all ready to take it to the machine shop and get it ready for the new pistons. Now I have all parts and no good block. I even went out back and looked at my block .75mm over that I took out of a postal service box truck. It too has cracks. I agree with you about chamfering all holes and breaking sharp edges. We do it all the time at the factory where I work.

I am going to start looking for a 1982 red block and start from there if I can find one. I know there are probably several around that one of these farmers doesn't need any more. No sense call local wrecking yards. The last time I checked with them they too wanted good blocks to sell. Most said they could sell all they could get. I could kick myself, last time I visited the local machine shop there was a customer that had tried a couple of used IP that the shop had but still couldn't get his engine to run right. then he offered to sell me two 6.2 engines, I should have at least gone and looked at them. Probably would have been cheap. I know where there is a whole truck next to a barn, will go look at it and see what year it is.

Will also go to the local metal recycling yard, Its pretty large for around here, they melt all their aluminium and pour large 2000 lb ignots. Has its own rail line to connect it to the local railway. Large heaps of scrap engines, If you are willing to look thru them you can pick them up for a little over scrap value.

Oh well at least I scored an extra set of Pistons and rings off e-bay for $199.00 the other day. New Old Stock TRW .020 Pistons over with New PC rings. He was glad to get rid of them , he said they had sat on the shelf of his shop for several years now.

Oh well we have the start of our own Navy now, at least we have a couple of ship anchors.

Darkroad

Robyn
04-14-2007, 09:06
This is a sad thing to find but it does happen and fairly regularly it seems.

I do believe there are a lot of nice running little 6.2's out there that probably have main web cracks that no one even knows are there lurking in the bowels waiting to spring forth their ugly little heads and ruin the afternoon.

The only way many of these come to light are when someone decides to freshen their little prize and stumbles onto them.

And of course the poor soul that finds themselves in the middle of rush hour traffic with their engine scattered all over the expressway and oil running from under the rig

Try watching Craigs list in your area too.

Ebay can yield some good stuff, BUTTTTTTTTTTTT its a crap shoot.
I got lucky with the J block I bought, as it turned out to be usable.
Actually it could have been plaed right in service without boring but I did not have a set of STD pistons so I will do .5mm overs courtesy of Ebay

Good luck in your quest for some good iron
Robyn

john8662
04-20-2007, 10:09
Same boat as well...

Just went and picked up a '93 6.5 to tear down soon, hopefully more good than the heads.

I recently blew the engine in my '82 pickup and a tear down revealed a non-rebuilder. No telling how many miles were on that engine, because it had been rebuilt before by the previous owner...

It's got a sprayer 6.5 in it currently.

At least I've got some mock-up blocks for another project.