PDA

View Full Version : How do I R&R my '95 Ignition Switch?

damork
04-13-2007, 09:41
I have the factory manuals, but experience always tends to shed more light on how it is done - so wondering if anyone can share how they have successfully changed their ignition switch in a 95 + 6.5 truck?

The manual suggests disabling the crash impact bags & power, removing the steering wheel, etc.

What works without damaging panels, any tricks & shortcuts with respect to releasing/removing lock, other links to how it is done, etc?. Pictures would help immensely. Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2007, 09:57
Don't be afraid of your airbags. Under the dash, there will be a YELLOW connector for the bag(s). Disconnect the YELLOW connector, and the airbag is "disarmed". This, along with pulling the SRS fuse will ensure no stray voltage will detonate the airbags.

On the backside (toward the vehicle front) of the steering wheel, opposite the airbag, there will be slots at 3 and 9 O'clock (with wheel centered). Rotate the steering wheel for access, and use a long/narrow tool (like a screwdriver), inserted into the slot and disengage the lock clips. The airbag will be free from the wheel, and you can disconect the wire connectors, and continue the column disassembly to get to the switch.