PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core - GM or Aftermarket?

joed
04-11-2007, 11:30
Well I made a rookie mistake and cracked my heater core when I replaced my heater hoses - doooh! I used a little too much "force" on the old "welded" on hoses.

Anyway, I'm noticing that ones from GM are about twice as expensive as Napa, etc. Is the GM version that much better or does it matter?

Also, any R & R tips? - I've never done one before and it doesn't look like much fun. How many hours can I expect?

Thanks. Joe.

john8662
04-20-2007, 11:00
The aftermarket heater cores have served well for me...

So, get 'er dun!

Anyways...

The job isn't a pleasant one.

Some additional things have to come apart to do this one properly.

If your truck has the additional black insulative cover over the evap box, then you'll need to drop the inner fender down some to get access to the small self-tapping screws that hold that on and carefulyl remove it to get access to the bolts that hold the evap box on the firewall.

You'll also get to remove the glovebox from the interior to get access to vent system inside the cab, which has to come out.

The heater core is inside the box, inside the cab. Dismantle the box, replace the core, install in the reverse order as removal.

Have fun!

J

Robyn
04-21-2007, 19:07
I really think that the way heater cores are installed is a conspiracy.
I have never seen any rig other than big trucks that the heater core is not a real booger to get out.

Truth is they could easily install these so a small cover could be removed and the AC evaporator as well as the core could be removed in a matter of a few minutes.

Took exactly 1/2 hour to change the core on my class 8 truck and never had to use one (1) colorful metafore.

Why are these designed so poorly?
Even the mechanics that work for the dealers can be seen fleeing out the back door when someone mentions a heater issue.

Good luck with your core.
OH BTW ALWAYS CUT THE HOSES WITH A SHARP RAZOR KNIFE LENGTH WISE AND PEEL THE HOSE OFF THE FITTING.
REEFING AND TWISTING WILL GUARANTEE A BROKEN CORE ALMOST EVERY TIME

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2007, 19:27
Conversation overheard in the designing room (could be any vehicle mfg):

Got an idea for a new vehicle.

Great. Let's hear it.

Well, first, we start with the heater core, then we add everything else to it.........

I've done dozens of cores in all types of vehicles. I have yet to see one "mechanic friendly". Milidon cores have treated me well.

Robyn
04-22-2007, 16:21
I know you are right.
My truck has a Red Dot HVAC system and the cabinet has a sqare door on the front that comes off with 4 little bolts.

Both the core and the evaporator slide into a rack and are held in with sponge rubber padding on front and back when you sandwitch the thing up with the cover. very simple and effective.

Now nobody ever said that Western Stars, Pete's, Kw's and Freight Shakers were all that stylish but they do some things right.

Of course the size and room under the dash does help some for an installation like these

Sweet, found a new toy I did :eek:

Robyn