PDA

View Full Version : Any info on the new LMM engine

D_R_C
04-10-2007, 17:06
I know the new LMM with all the emmission stuff has not been out very long but is there any kind of info on what to expect and watch out for???

I just got rid of my 2003 Ford 6.0 disapointment and on the edge of what to expect when my new GMC Sierra SLT 3500 SRW long bed arrives the end of May.

From what I can tell Duramax didnot go to the extreem like Ford/Navastar does by designing a complete new engine,that is already having issues.

Thanks for any input.

D_R_C
04-11-2007, 16:30
Not one person out there that can chime in with any info :confused:

DmaxMaverick
04-11-2007, 16:55
Sorry. Still too new for informed comments. I've seen one, but that's it. With the exception of the exhaust system, programming and EGR modifications, it should be much the same as the previous LBZ, which has been praised by most.

The only concern I'd have (off the cuff) would be the exhaust system and its behavior. Statements by GM are, it will be hardly noticed and self maintaining for the most part, but that's what Ford said. I haven't heard of anyone being limped to the roadside or flaming with a GM (I think Ford cornered that market).

D_R_C
04-11-2007, 17:09
Sorry. Still too new for informed comments. I've seen one, but that's it. With the exception of the exhaust system, programming and EGR modifications, it should be much the same as the previous LBZ, which has been praised by most.

The only concern I'd have (off the cuff) would be the exhaust system and its behavior. Statements by GM are, it will be hardly noticed and self maintaining for the most part, but that's what Ford said. I haven't heard of anyone being limped to the roadside or flaming with a GM (I think Ford cornered that market).

Thanks,I know this is new and no dealer will comment at all.
I agree Ford has cornered the market for foolishness at the cost of the consumer.
I feel good about going Durmax but there are still concerns especially after owning a Ford 6.0,and loosing my but $$$ getting out from under it.
One guy mention in another post he heard that when the LMM regens you loose power for something like 20-30 min.
That would not be good pulling a 7% grade towing 13K,I hope he is passing on bad info,for everyones sake.
Thanks again for chimming in.

D_R_C
05-06-2007, 11:26
Ok,now that the LMM has been out for a short time and several are lucky enough to already have one,what is your evaluation of the new LMM/with the new emission stuff.
Has any one towed yet ???
And what is your opinion on the power.
My dealer (I`m buying from) states they de-tuned the engine,but the H.P. and torque specs show a little higher.
Thanks for any input.

Dakster
05-06-2007, 16:03
Ok,now that the LMM has been out for a short time and several are lucky enough to already have one,what is your evaluation of the new LMM/with the new emission stuff.
Has any one towed yet ???
And what is your opinion on the power.
My dealer (I`m buying from) states they de-tuned the engine,but the H.P. and torque specs show a little higher.
Thanks for any input.

I can chime in now. I just bought a 2007 Silverado with the LMM... Coming from a previous Ford 6.0 owner like yourself.... IMHO, the truck has plenty of power and is the quickest STOCK Chevy diesel I have driven. It feels a quicker than a stock 6.0 and the extra gears don't hurt either. I haven't hit a regen yet so I can't comment on the loss of power during a regen. I don't tow alot of weight (3k trailer, max) and there are no grades in South Florida.

I am going to post this in the LMM fuel economy thread, but driving home on the interstate with no traffic, modulating between 65 - 80 the DIC says 15.0 MPG. I'll be watching out for fuel economy, what happens during a regen if I can even tell. How hot the exhaust gets, if it burns the grass in my yard. How hot the bed of the truck gets (someone said the DPF could heat up the bed.

Other than that I'll let you know of any issues that pop up, although I doubt anything will.

D_R_C
05-06-2007, 20:43
Thanks for the info
Playing the waiting game is hard,my truck is supposed to be built this week,the week of 5-7-07.
My dealer has one in that is close to what I have ordered but missing a few things I would like,which is worth the wait,I have waited this long.

Dakster
05-07-2007, 04:16
I know the feeling. I looked far and forever to find the truck I wanted with the options I wanted. Plunking down that kind of money you should get exactly what you want...

What did you order out of curiosity? Also, I have found that the rebates are getting bigger as time goes on so you may end up with a better deal by the time it comes in! I ended up saving and extra $500 by waiting until May...:cool:

D_R_C
05-07-2007, 16:32
Every option available,nothing left off,except the rear DVD.
I hope to have it before memorial weekend but I have a feeling that won`t happen.
My Ford broke down for the last time Feb 21,and after I got it back Mar 17,I traded it in 6 days later(early trade)and ordered the GMC.
The order was held up until Mar 28 something to do with the supply on the 17" wheels.
I don`t mind driving my old 79 once in a while,so far I have been driving it for 12 weeks and looking forward to some luxury again.

jharden1
05-07-2007, 17:14
Two weeks into my new LMM. Nicest truck I've ever owned. I'm on my second tank of fuel and haven't noticed a regen cycle. I drive 45 mins to work, one way, at freeway speeds. 16.9 mpg on this tank. Emissions are a warranty item and I'm an early adapter, I'm very pleased. :)

Dakster
05-07-2007, 17:22
Every option available,nothing left off,except the rear DVD.
I hope to have it before memorial weekend but I have a feeling that won`t happen.
My Ford broke down for the last time Feb 21,and after I got it back Mar 17,I traded it in 6 days later(early trade)and ordered the GMC.
The order was held up until Mar 28 something to do with the supply on the 17" wheels.
I don`t mind driving my old 79 once in a while,so far I have been driving it for 12 weeks and looking forward to some luxury again.

The DVD was one of the hard options for me to find!! I almost bought one without it and was going to add it, but the "factory" plug in headrest DVD player is $2500 installed... I have small kids that are used to having one... In fact my son cried when I test drove it and it didn't have the DVD player... I know I'm a softy - when it comes to my kids.

I can't get over how clean the INSIDE of the exhaust is. I would kind of like a CHROMED tip. You'd think for a 53k truck it would have one...

bobt2948
05-07-2007, 22:59
Have 4500 miles on my 07 2500 HD crew cab LTZ. Got it on March 15. This is my first Duramax. Been towing a dump trailer with up to 21900 gvw. No problem on any hill. The power is awesome to me but then I've not had anything but a 5.3 1/2 ton for six years. Have not noticed any issue with a regen and the manual says it should happen about once per tank of fuel. Average mpg has been around 15 by the DIC. Nicest truck I've ever had.

D_R_C
05-09-2007, 20:14
bobt2948,
You have been towing, by any chance did your truck come with the Integrated Brake Controller?
If so how does it work and does the brake control setting show on the message center?

D_R_C
05-09-2007, 20:21
The DVD was one of the hard options for me to find!! I almost bought one without it and was going to add it, but the "factory" plug in headrest DVD player is $2500 installed... I have small kids that are used to having one... In fact my son cried when I test drove it and it didn't have the DVD player... I know I'm a softy - when it comes to my kids.

I can't get over how clean the INSIDE of the exhaust is. I would kind of like a CHROMED tip. You'd think for a 53k truck it would have one...

Someday I might regret not having a DVD (grand kids,only 1 we don`t see very often)
As far as my boys 32yrs & 26yrs so I have no worries about them,for now it is just the wife and my beagle.

Dan@PPE
05-10-2007, 00:46
We offer a tuner that will yield 225FWHp if you are interested..

Dan

bobt2948
05-11-2007, 11:26
DRC
Yes I have the IBC. Had to wait extra time for it but it is well worth it. It is by far the best brake controller i have ever experienced. You can set the gain from 1 - 10 on the DIC and then it shows how much you are using when braking.

D_R_C
05-11-2007, 17:30
DRC
Yes I have the IBC. Had to wait extra time for it but it is well worth it. It is by far the best brake controller i have ever experienced. You can set the gain from 1 - 10 on the DIC and then it shows how much you are using when braking.

Thank you so much for the info.
It is pretty bad that a customer cannot get any info from the dealer,they didnot know how to monitor the gain setting,they had no clue,and was not about to go out of the way to find out.
But it is nice to have a source to collect info from,HERE.
Thanks,