PDA

View Full Version : Some good news!

83Blzr62
04-08-2007, 14:43
I have been having trouble with the engine I rebuilt. It had a tick and low oil pressure. Well apparently the oil plug in the passenger side lifter oil galley slid out some so oil could almost flow freely out of that side. I plan on replacing the two lifters that were not pumped up and hammering a new plug all the way down in the hole with epoxy(I did it flush with the face before). The bearings are a little worn and show some rubbing, but nothing bad. I also thought I found a main web crack but after inspecting it with NDT fault detecting dye and sanding slightly on the surface, I found out it was only a surface scratch. It was weird that it was in the usual spot where cracks commonly form.

john8662
04-09-2007, 10:34
some very good news, to find out what is going on!

I guess you pulled the engine back out of the chassis?

More Power
04-09-2007, 12:00
There was a production run of 6.5's in the 90's that had this problem. There's a TSB about it. In those cases, the front main bearing and turbo (turbo oil supply is at the front of the engine) suffered the most from a lack of oil pressure.

I'd be tempted to tap those holes and install a threaded pipe plug when rebuilding an engine.

Jim

83Blzr62
04-09-2007, 14:29
Yeah, I pulled the engine out. I can't wait to get it back together for good. It will be the first time I have had a completely problem free engine in any car:). But since I have it out I am going to clean everything again and repaint some stuff. I also want to put in some of the extended life coolant for the semi's that robyn talked about. I just need to find a place to buy it.

I could tap the holes but I don't want to risk getting metal chips in the engine. I am just going to use some strong epoxy that my dad has and glue them in. They will never come out, and that is good because I never plan on rebuilding this block again. What is the 'TBS'?

RoverIIa
04-15-2007, 19:03
NAPA stores have a big-rig type SCR pre-charged coolant. I think it has fleet in the name. I'm using it in my rebuilt 6.2 rig after having to change a timing cover that corroded away.

john8662
04-20-2007, 10:48
When my blocks are at the machine shop for bore/cleaning they always install the cam bearings for me and all the soft plugs (cause they have them all there).

When the plugs on the front of the engine are installed, they receive a nice tap with a punch to lock the plugs in the block.

I thought it was a good idea...

Jim's right, threading the bosses ain't a bad idea.

all the 97+ blocks are done this way.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
TBS = TV network ;)

J