PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Newbie, some quick simple questions

crazeejames
04-06-2007, 17:58
Just picked up a 1993 2wd ext.cab. Only 130,000 miles on it. First "real" diesel, have a TDI VW, but it doesn't much compare to this diesel. My first question is what is up with the glowplugs, I turn on the key, hear the relay click, light goes on for 5-10 secs, then goes out and I hit the key and it fires up, sometimes dies when it is like -15C out. I assume this is normal, but once the engine is warmed up should the plugs still cycle, the light comes on for the same amount of time, only difference is it doesn't click on and off a few times after it starts.

#2 Question, I have a seeping oil cooler line? Left side of rad, goes to back of engine it looks like, is this serious, is there a fix, or do I just buy a new line?

#3 Question, What should my temp gauge run at, it seems to run awfully low, after 1/2 on the highway its only showing about 60 degress C which is 140F, I had a gas gm before and it always ran the gauge up the middle?

Think thats it for now, thanks for any replies!

Robyn
04-06-2007, 21:11
Glow plug light will cycle on every time the key is turned off for a short and then back on. Your fine there

Sounds like the oil line has issues
Temp should run 180-190
Factory was 195

I like 180

crazeejames
04-06-2007, 22:01
Thanks Robyn,
Sounds like I need a thermostat and an oil line. So as far as the glowplugs cycling, if I know the engine is still warm, I just don't wait for the light then?
Thanks.

Robyn
04-07-2007, 12:44
Some of the much earlier 6.2's had a glow plug inhibit switch that would stop the relay from activating after the engine was warm.
They were problematic as some rigs when they got some time on them needed a little glow after they had sat for a little while.

Many times the inhibit switch would quit and leave you with a cold engine and no glow.

The inhibit switch could be defeated with a paper clip out on the road if you knew how.

Amazing what a paper clip and some electrical tape can do in a pinch.

The later trucks glow every time the key is cycled on then off and so on.