PDA

View Full Version : Turbo question

kevin77
03-31-2007, 15:44
I'm getting a strange sound out my my truck when I accelerate but goes it goes away when I let up on the throttle. A worn bearing sound is the best that I can describe it as - it also sounds like an exhaust leak. I've crawled under the truck and not found any exhaust problems - I had replaced the exhaust in January with a new 4" - I inspected the rear brakes to see if that could be it - it wasn't - I lifted the front end to check to see if it was the front bearings - they were fine.

Then is hit me - is it the turbo? So I took the elbow off of the turbo and I do have a little endplay on the turbo shaft and no rubbing on the housing - yet.

How much endplay should I expect?

Kevin

gmctd
03-31-2007, 16:36
The 'wheels should not touch the housing at any point - it's prolly your serpentine belt tensioners.

Or alternator bearing

Or ac compressor bearing

Or waterpump bearing

P\s pump bearing?

Have you checked the harmonic balancer and acc drive pulley?

Remove the serp belt, start the engine to determine course of action.

kevin77
03-31-2007, 16:57
the sound lets up when I'm cruising at 55 - but I'll pull the belt off and see what I find. Thanks.

Kevin

a5150nut
03-31-2007, 17:21
A short lenght of hose or a long screw driver make for a shade tree stethescope to find pesky problems too......................

Herman_Bolger
04-02-2007, 18:46
I noticed that you have a 4" exhaust, this may sound odd but do you have enough clearence around your pipe to the frrame, floor etc. Under load your engine would twist up, and move the exhaust toward the floor. I know that my exhaust is very tight, and if I am twisting the truck a lot it will hit the floor boards. I also had very little clearance between the down pipe and the frame rail. When you hit 55 mph, you may "unload" the drive train.?????????

kevin77
04-04-2007, 19:59
Well,

I took the old truck cruising down the road, got up to 30-40 mph, turned the motor off, flipped the transfer case to neutral, and I still have the sound.

I'm starting to thing either rear end or the brakes are my problem - How do I diagnose a rear end?

Kevin

kevin77
04-05-2007, 03:30
I was thinking -

U-joints? i will start with the u-joints.

Kevin