PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 glow plug controler swap...

nashbearwa
03-29-2007, 02:07
After much searching in junk yards I found the glow plug controller system that works as I have a 1982 Chevy truck with the temperamental glow plug controller.

I did get the controller and all the wiring for it. I am going to mount it where the relay is at currently. I am mounting it there as I already have the glow plugs wires already there, seems like a good place. I have, someplace, a drawing of what the wires to the new controller are supposed to be, but I can't find it. However I can't figure out what wires I'm suppose to take off the old controller and place on the new controller.

I know the glow plugs wires......that one is obvious, but what about the other 4?

Can anybody that has converted an early 80's to a later 80's let me know what wires go where?

Thanks!

john8662
03-29-2007, 13:37
Your '82 has the glow controller that consists of two main components.

The controller and a relay.

I'd install your newer glow controller (the 85+ all-in-one) on the driver's fender where you'll find the existing glow relay.

You have two options here.

Leave the relay and wire in a push button in the cab to allow you manual control (in addition to your auto controlled controller).

Or, just replace the relay with your new controller and run the wires that are needed to the new controller.

The controller being mounted to the fender well will give you better glow usuage, because it's in a cooler spot and will likely turn on under most key-on usage. Which will make sure you get reliable starts.

I'd also recommend just unplugging the old controller, and removing the controller from it's hole and installing a 1/2" NPT pipe plug in the threaded boss where the controller came from. Just to make sure you don't develop a leak later. Also, leave the harness alone, just unplug and leave the old connnector in place. You can piggby back the wires you need back to your new controller (ignition being about it).

Do you have the diagram of the wiring in a manual you have or have you viewed it online here on the page?

Welcome to TDP forums!

J

nashbearwa
03-29-2007, 18:31
I am upgrading to the 85 controller. I was going to just leave the bad 1982 one in the head as who cares it plugs the hole up. I am going to mount the new one where the old relay is at. I just don't know what wires to hook up. I've got the harness from the 85, I know where the glow plugs wires go, and it

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2007, 19:56
Welcome to the Forums!

Click the "Truck Stuff Pics" link in my sig. You'll find the wiring diagram for 1985 GM trucks in the "Diagrams" album. The GP circuit is pretty well shown.

nashbearwa
03-29-2007, 23:47
Thanks for the use of the wiring diagrams. They kind of tell me what I needed to know, but I'm still confused on what wires I need to cut from my old controller and hook to the new controller.

Or am I think about this the wrong way?

nashbearwa
03-30-2007, 10:48
I did find this site. Will this work for what I want to do? Very good drawings and detailed instructions.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=16

vr1967
03-30-2007, 17:23
nashbearwa,
If you can wait a week and a half, I will look under the hood of my friends truck I did and tell you what wires went where. I only had to add one wire using the rest from his original harness.
Or I can try to call him and get him to tell me over the phone and post it.
Reason it will take a week and a half for ME to see it is I am currently off the coast of Brasil working.
Virgil

nashbearwa
03-31-2007, 16:05
Sure I can wait a week, I'm off to Las Vegas on Sunday and won't be back till the next Friday 5th of April. My truck is a work in progress, it will always need something.

Thanks very much.

vr1967
04-14-2007, 21:26
OK, if you look at the plug with the 4 wires that goes to the later relay, it is marked A,B,C,D, & E.
A- no wire
B- Goes to the purple "crank" wire (instead of running all the way to the starter, I tied into it at the connector at the firewall)
C- Jumped around and connected to the large post that the wire to the glow plugs is connected to
D- goes to the pink wire that originally plugged up to the front of the original relay
E- ground

I mounted the newer relay on the fender where the original mounted.
Hope this Helps.
Virgil

nashbearwa
04-22-2007, 01:06
Thank you very much. I will get that little job done tomorrow morning. I will be so happy to have the glow plug system just work with a key. I've been opening the hood, pluging them in, wait for 10 sec, start truck, unplug relay, close hood, go. Pain...

Thanks again.

Eric

ordiesel
07-08-2007, 19:46
Back ground: I'm new to Diesels and have been re-wiring some of the wires in the '83 C2500 Suburban I recently purchased (the wires running to the starter melted onto the exhaust manifold and shorted the harness). It was previously converted to the 85+ glow plug controller. The wiring appears to have been nicely done and the harness was extended to the controller now sits on the driver's side inner fender.

I traced all the wires from the new controller to the harness to make sure where they went.
Terminal A is not used.
Terminal B connects to the “s” terminal on the starter.
Terminal C connects to the light blue wire from terminal 3 of the old glow plug controller that has been connected the two black wires from terminal 5 and 6 of the old glow plug controller.
Terminal D connects to the main wiring harness and receives power when the ignition switch is in the ON position.
Terminal E is grounded to the chassis.The old controller's remaining brown and dark green wires are capped

Problem? The other day I started the suburban up and noticed that when I start the engine the glow plug light flickers and stay on constantly when the engine begins to run. Not wanting to burn up the glow plugs, I haven't run the engine more than 15 seconds after it starts to see if the glow plug light stays on.

I've never noticed glow plug light flicker and the glow plugs stay on constantly when the engine begins to run on previous diesels driven.

I understand that some glow plug cycling after starting is normal, but how long should I wait to see it its not a "normal" situation? The Suburban may have B80 or B100 in it, will that make a difference?

Is Terminal C's wiring the issue? I plan to just connect Terminal C to the glow plug wire post, however, should I put a temperature inhibitor switch inline? If so, should I use the 84-85 inhibitor switch (PN 23507005), or is there another switch that might be better?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: