PDA

View Full Version : Scantool Diagnosis

Nobby
03-26-2007, 23:36
I am looking for some input from Tech 2/GM Techs users with regards to scan tool use.

I recently purchased the Autoenginuity package with the enhanced GM bi-directional support. The package however is not able to as per the Diagnostic Charts have the vehicle run the diagnostic specific to the code after making repairs to test to see if you were successfull. I called them about this and they were basically unaware of this process and initially kind of came off as that cannot be done, to which I read for them the piece of a diagnostic chart where it says this. They further went on to say that they have all the Tech 2 licensing and have not observed that feature.

Now of course driving the vehicle for a while would obviously test the repairs, however it strikes me as a very usefull feature to be able to test the specific code immediately after replacing parts/making repairs etc. Interesting enough my troubleshooting mind had imagined/assumed that a bi-directional scantool would be able to do this anyway.

My question is for those using Tech 2's do you find this to be a valuable feature? I am kind of surprised as to their ignorance on this. I am considering asking them to figure this one out and program and update their package do be able to do this. Being a newbie to the scantool world I am trying to get a handle on how usefull a feature this is though.

cheers
Nobby

gmctd
03-27-2007, 06:48
Paraphrase the section you're referring to - procedure success is indicated by non-recurring DTC - PCM runs diagnostics at power-on, requires no input from the scan-tool

Nobby
03-27-2007, 07:40
At the end of a diagnostic chart:

1. Using the Scan Tool, Select DTC, Clear Info
2. Start engine and idle at normal operating temperature
3. Select DTC, Specific, then enter the DTC number which was set
4. Operate the vehicle until the scan tool indicates that the diagnostic ran

Does the scan tool indicate that the diagnostic passed?

cheers
Nobby

gmctd
03-27-2007, 08:17
Dealers get a 100kbuck roll-around
scanner\scope\chart\printer\dvm\reflash\etc, inter-connected to the GM intra-net, with a tad more diagnostic function than the Tech - the portable hand-held unit is somewhat limited in scope, comparatively, intended for the smaller service shops.

I don't recall seeing that function in the Tech2, but it can be checked out

rjwest
03-27-2007, 16:46
Car code laptop software and adapter, 125 US does almost all a tech 2
does, well worth the investment,

Disclaimer: I am not associated with or receive any renumeration from carcode.

Just very satisified user,

AND works on all GM vehicles, and FREEupdates...

link obd-2.com

gmctd
03-27-2007, 18:01
That function does not display in the 2004 Tech2 on OBD1 system, Nobby - as that verbiage is in the 2000 OBD diagnostics, it may be possible that the OBD2 PCM flags the additional DTC function, incl DTC Status

Nobby
03-27-2007, 22:20
Thanks for the input gmctd.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the Scantool does not in this case instruct a diagnostic run specific to that code. But merely flags that code so that during the standard key on PCM diagnostics it reports back on whether the check on that specific code was successfull/OK or not. As I was paraphrasing the instructions I was starting to come to this conclusion myself.

cheers
Nobby