PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel & SNAP Test Impact

jdc
03-26-2007, 22:43
I am seeking guidance from the forum about a few questions I have about my next emission (SNAP) test and today

More Power
03-27-2007, 11:52
A device was developed many years ago, called a boost "aneroid", which delays fuel delivery in a turbodiesel equipped with a mechanical fuel injection pump. What it does is delay the application of throttle, no matter how fast the go-pedal is depressed. It was intended to reduce smoke by allowing time for the turbo to spool.

A similar device would also work for a non-turbo diesel. The emissions tester could press the go-pedal as fast as he wanted, but it would bleed in power over a longer period of time (say a few seconds, instead of instantly). This would reduce smoke.

Jim

jdc
03-29-2007, 15:45
Thank you for the guidance, sir. A cursory perusal of the web indicates I'll need to do more research for deploying the principle on my 6.2.

JeepSJ
03-29-2007, 16:31
A chunk of 2x4 taped under the skinny pedal will basically do the same thing.

CleviteKid
04-01-2007, 06:18
Is there a Visual check of your engine equipment involved? If you happened to pull up for the test and "forgot" to put your air filter in the air cleaner, you would get just a tad more air and a tad less smoke during your SNAP test. ;)

PS: look at my avatar - think it would pass ?

Robyn
04-01-2007, 10:11
Hey KID

You could hire out part time exterminating Mosquitoes with that red beast of yours. ;0)

murphyslaw
04-01-2007, 22:49
the ULSD is not supposed to smoke as much as the old LSD so you may be further under the Red line since the changeover.

gmctd
04-02-2007, 09:37
Factoring in Dr Lee's advice, a new air filter at the time of testing will help the test results, considerably.

You can pull the injectors and have them flow-tested - replace any that fail - if more fail than not, replace them all - good spray pattern is conducive to complete combustion and economy

IP timing should probably be adjusted to compensate for 200kmi of timing chain wear

wallew
04-04-2007, 11:03
OK, I'll kick a couple in here.

First is a product whose name I forget. Something like 'Pass Your Emission Test' type of name. It's a fuel additive and they PROMISE it will lower emissions enough for you to pass. If not, send them the 'failed emissions' paper work and they will at least refund your money.

SECOND, and on a diesel in particular this is extremely helpful. TRY USING BIODIESEL. Properly manufactured, from a LARGE producer. IT WILL DEFINATELY reduce your emissions. It doesn't have the same characteristics as normal diesel, so given the miles, I wouldn't use it every day, for the THE DAY, consider filling with either a B20 up to a B100 (100 % biodiesel).

OH, I too follow your regimen, regardless of the engine. I ONLY use K&N air filters. I clean them the day before I have the test. It DOES make a difference between passing and failing. AND my K&N gets better MPG. Not a HUGE increase, but I'll take what I can get.

Hope that helps.

billschall
04-04-2007, 12:48
Last summer my truck would smoke (like me, a chimney) while running dinodiesel. A local fuel stop began selling B5 & B100. Naturally, I was inquisitive and started running B100. On the very first tank, the smoking went away at startup, idle and under full foot-stomp. Also ran quieter and smelled better. Pretty amazing, but not unexpected as biofuels burn cleaner than their dino counterparts.

Furthermore, the only disadvantages of running B100 are:
(1) slight reduction in MPG - I experienced a 7.2% loss from 14.9MPG to 13.8MPG, not much of a big deal.
(2) frequent fuel filter changes, initially - I replaced an extremely blinded fuel filter within the first 500 miles and changed again 3x every 500. This is due to Biodiesel's solvent properties as it will clean out the tank.
(3) Biodiesel will dissolve items made of rubber within the fuel system. This includes o-rings and lines. I don't have the data in front of me at the moment but IIRC few manufacturers used rubber from the late 80's or early 90's onward.

The HUGE advantage of running Biodiesel - any blend - is that it overcomes the lubricity loss of today's ULSD without using any additives. No lubricity in the fuel = injection pump failure.

The other big advantage is cleaner emissions. Although we don't have sniff tests here in PA (yet) I have read on various discussion boards where people have easily passed sniff tests while running B100.

I do partially agree with the previous comment about buying from a "large producer." The thing to look (or ask) for is whether the producer is washing the biodiesel following the reaction in addition to removing the unreacted methanol. While commercial producers do this, not all "home brewers" do.

jdc
04-15-2007, 01:14
I want to thank everyone for their answers. The confirmation of my understandings is well received.

Clevitekid: no visual check