PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question - Road Tools?

Rally Rebel
03-26-2007, 07:57
Greets to all, and thanks for all the info shared here! I maintain two similar forums for collectors of vintage Caterpillar equipment and can appreciate what this community represents and offers. :)

Recently I purchased a really clean M1028 CUCV and will be flying up to Kansas City to drive it home to Florida. I'm new to the 6.2 but not diesels in general having several antique Caterpillars, a couple Detroits (8V71 & 471) and a handful of Mercedes (OM617 & 616). I'd like to take a good selection of tools to address any issues I may need to address on the 1300 mile trip. If y'all could share what's commonly used on these engines I'd appreciate it a great deal. Typically I'd take a 200-piece hardcase but since I'm flying out I need to pack light and take the bare essentials. Worst case just let me know the odd-ball or big-wrench stuff and I'll pick up a cheapie Wal-Mart socket/wrench set for everything else, since it's always handy to have "disposable" tools around the shop for when you need to weld up that homemade crows foot! :D

Thanks again!

Joe

Robyn
03-26-2007, 08:29
Use a good mechanics judgement but remember the 6.2 is all metric.

Subzilla
03-26-2007, 08:54
Welcome! Assuming you're a member of the Diesel Page, here's a link to an article Jim B did way back when: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tools.htm

This tool kit has helped me on more than a few occasions.

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2007, 09:28
Welcome to the Forums!

Excellent topic. You may need tools for even the most routine stuff while traveling.

Some (not all) of the common maintenance you could encounter on the road aren't very different from vehicle to vehicle. Here's a short list of them:

Fuel filter (top of the list for a reason)
Belt(s)
Battery connections
Fuses and electrical connectors/splices
Lamps
Etc.

The CUCV's are pretty basic, and don't require special tools for routine stuff. I suggest you don't worry about taking tools with you, but stop in at a Harbor Freight or Walmart and pick up some basic tools when you get there. I (and many friends) have had very poor luck checking tools through the airlines, and especially lately (Homeland Security), they tend to just disappear with no trace, and no explanation from the inspectors. Also, you could get hit with outlandish surcharges for excess weight on your checked luggage.

Here's what I suggest you pick up in KC:

Filter wrench, if needed, depending on the fuel filter type.
End wrench and socket set, 7mm to 22mm
Adjustable wrenches (Crescent)
Various screwdriver types/sizes
Pliers
Wire cutters/strippers
Electrical and duct tape
Zip ties
Mechanic's wire
Elecrical primary wire, 18 to 12ga w/ connectors/splicers
Cheap VOM
2 ton bottle jack
Jumper cables (heavy duty or 2 light/med duties)
Tarp
WD-40
Hack saw
Utility knife
Hose clamps (1"-3"...very handy for many things)
Propane torch
Ear plugs (long trip with low gears and highway speeds)
Portable welder and cutting torch (just kidding....maybe)

All of the above can be had at Harbor Freight (or Chuck Homier distributor) for ~$50. Walmart will cost more.

Check the spare tire and make sure you have a jack and lug wrench. If the service history is unknown, it would be a good idea to service all the filters and fluids before driving back. Also, if it has a manual tranny, consider parking on a pretty good hill if you have to shut down, and leave the engine running during fuel stops if you can. It would also be a good idea to get a good dead-cold start before leaving. You need to know the health of the starting system before you really need it. Do not use ether, except only in an emergency or as a last resort.

On another subject....
Are you just a collector, or a wrench'er on those old Cat's? I'm having fuel issues on a ~56 D4 I'd like to pick your brain about. Please send me an email or PM if you're interested.

Good luck, and try to enjoy the trip.

NH2112
03-26-2007, 09:39
I think you can do most every roadside engine repair with a 3/8" drive ratchet, breaker bar, some extensions, and sockets (I'd bring deep) & box/open ends from 10-19mm. A prybar or 2 (12-16") would be useful, and if you really want to be prepared for anything I'd bring along wheel bearing sockets, a 1/2" drive breaker bar, 9/16" socket for the axle flange bolts, a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter for the rear wheel bearing socket, and a 24oz hammer. Also, a bitdriver with slotted, Phillips, & Torx bits, snapring & oil filter pliers, an adjustable wrench for tranny, transfer case, & front axle drain plugs, and a razor blade scraper for pans.

RoverIIa
03-26-2007, 21:02
A good alternative to flying those tools is to UPS them. I do that with camping equipment on occasion.

By the time you factor in security and flight delays, you can generally count on your stuff beating you to the destination!

Yukon6.2
03-26-2007, 23:19
Hi Rally Rebel
Could you let us know your website on vintage caterpillar equipment? I curently use a bunch of older cat stuff,some probly fit into the vintage catagory.Would be interesting to browse through.I'm fixing a hinge pin on one of my 950's,the new one, 81 vintage,my old one is late 50's iv been told.
Thanks Thomas

Rally Rebel
03-27-2007, 11:35
Thanks much for all the excellent feedback! There's a Wal-Mart supercenter and a Lowes directly across the street from where we're staying the night before we drive the beast home, so I'll get a set of tools to just keep in the truck.

The last time I did something similar to this was when I drove a 1970 IH Transtar home from Wamego, KS. It had sat in a field for about 30 years before I got it, and after a new set of tires, new windshields and a whack on the hi-lo selector on the RTO-915 we made it home in 3 1/2 days. Bobtailing a cabover with Hendrickson suspension isn't for the faint of heart! :D

For y'all interested in the vintage Caterpillars, you can check out my site at www.antiquecaterpillar.org (http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org) and register for the forum. It's a vBulletin forum like here and has over 2000 great people all suffering from "yellow fever". I also admin a site for another old Cat club that's affiliated with Cat corporate that can be found at www.acmoc.org (http://www.acmoc.org).

My current personal Caterpillar collection: 1934 Twenty-two, 1943 D4-2T, 1944 D4-2T and a 1949 D6-9U. I also have a 1952 Lorain TL-25K dragline (detroit 471 power) that's a good bit of fun to dig really big holes with. ;)

Thanks again all! Looking forward to participating more here, and hopefully contributing as I learn more.