PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E unbolting

Craig M
03-25-2007, 08:33
Removing the engine from 95 Yukon. Unbolting engine from tranny. Donor engine/transmission is missing the bolt on the top by the drivers side. The same location is almost impossible to access on the Yukon. Is this bolt typiclly left out on the assembly line? If not ideas on how to unbolt it.

john8662
03-25-2007, 13:23
It's not left out from OEM, but it's a major pain to get to.

I've heard that if you remove the crossmember between the trans and case, and put a jack under it and lower the trans and x-fer case that you can actually get up in there. This tilts the engine backwards a bit.

I've been luck enough to take enough extensions and a "wabble" extension on the end with the socket on it (9/16") to get the bolt out.

J

Craig M
03-25-2007, 16:43
We cannot even tough or feel the nut. Others are 14mm. I see no way to get a wobble on it. Will have to try and lower the transmission as suggested to get access to it. We can probably get closer to it from the passenger side than the drivers side.

diesel65
03-25-2007, 17:19
Try removing the fuel fiter housing and the glow plug relay,on the 95 you may need to remove the OPS. Then you should be able to get a wrench on that bolt.
There should be a nut on the bolt holding the transfer case vent hose and the bracket for the fuel lines.
The nut is 13mm wrench size.

JohnC
03-26-2007, 15:08
What am I missing? Why not pull them together?

Craig M
03-26-2007, 18:06
Originally I was thinking of pulling the transmission with the engine. This is a 4 wheel drive Yukon. Disconnecting the transfer case from the transmission(which is shielded by a rock guard connected to the crossmember) seemed like more work than disconnecting the transmission. Now not sure.

GSE2SCHMIDT
03-26-2007, 21:52
oops started a thread that read.....

Hey I'm getting ready to pull the engine out of my 95sub. Those upper rear eng/tranny bolts look impossible and I read the thread on removing the tranny bracket and tilting the engine using an extension and getting the top 2 bolts.

I was going to replace the motor mounts anyway and the engine is pretty stripped down.

What if I put a jack under the motor remove the motor mounts before pulling then lower the engine so it rests on the frame would it tilt the motor forward enough with no motor mounts to get to the bolts?

Anybody tried this method?

And same with reinstalling?