View Full Version : Gov Surplus 6.2L engines

More Power
03-19-2007, 11:20
Have a look! :)

http://www.govliquidation.com/list/e2881/lna/1.html

Jim

CleviteKid
03-22-2007, 07:03
Condition F7, unservicable but repairable.

Yeah, right; all it takes is time and money, lots of each.

The shipping will be more than the sales prices. The containers are neat, though. Tell them to dump the engine out back and ship you the empty container - the shipping costs will be a lot less and you will have the neat box the engine came in ! ! ! :D

john8662
03-22-2007, 08:28
The containers are neat, though. Tell them to dump the engine out back and ship you the empty container - the shipping costs will be a lot less and you will have the neat box the engine came in ! ! ! :D

Wow, two of us that are thinking the same thing!

Would make a nice engine testing stand IMHO.

J

Craig M
03-22-2007, 08:52
Final prices went pretty cheap. The 7 better engines in Utah went for an average of $267. If you figure you can sell the container for $100 then $167 for injection pump, injectors and the rest of a 6.2 engine is not to bad. One needs to buy 3 or 4 and pick them up yourself to keep freight costs reasonable.

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2007, 09:02
......The containers are neat, though. Tell them to dump the engine out back and ship you the empty container - the shipping costs will be a lot less and you will have the neat box the engine came in ! ! ! :D

I was thinking the same.

It kinda' puts us in perspective, maturity-wise.

Give any 2 year old a gift (any gift) in a large box, and what happens? It doesn't matter what was in the box, but the box will provide hours and hours of quality entertainment.

aloharovers
03-23-2007, 09:38
OMG, I got so busy at work I totally forgot about this :cry:
Office is less then 10 miles from Carson. Engines went for $80. ARRRRRG

Craig M
03-23-2007, 10:00
I did not watch the auction in Colorodo. Was bidding on the one in Utah. The only 2 units there that went for $75 were a burned one and one missing major components. One new looking engine went for $960. 7 best after that $257, others around $175.

More Power
03-23-2007, 10:05
Somehow I got onto someone's email list for these auctions. I'll post more as they come in. :) It's too bad the gov stopped offering older HMMWV's. :(

Jim

unionparkhobby
03-23-2007, 20:14
I have bought stuff from the military for years. For the engines you have to have a end-user aggrement. It takes a long time to get approved and they have your money the day the auction ends. The engines are usually in good shape, but some are broken. All the 6.2 were pulled so they could put in 6.5's. The gov is selling thousands of these. It is kind of like gambling. Good luck everyone.

Robyn
03-23-2007, 20:42
There is a fellow here that uses the shipping containers to make really way kewl fireplaces and sells the engines off as "Booty"

I looked through a dozen 6.2' anf 6.5's and found none worth the $200 each he wanted.
The required repairs ran the gamut of needing a piston or 8 and a bore job to heads and or being nothing more than a boat anchor.
Several I looked at had crank issues as in mainline gone to rods out.
2 had broken main webs.
Given enough of them for a very cheap price one could probably scrounge enough pieces to make a few good engines.

As was mentioned the shipping cost is tough to swallow.
I shipped a 6.2 I bought on ebay, it came from Indiana to Oregon and cost $400 to ship.

It was a gauranteed runner and I only paid $100 for the engine. Still $500 for a used engine sight unseen was a bit much.
It turned ot to be an OK deal though