PDA

View Full Version : My 'new' LB7

Mark Rinker
03-16-2007, 21:13
Here is the replacement engine for my 2001 with the head gasket and/or injector cup issues.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140095871380&rd=1,1

The dealership has agreed to drop this engine in for ~3K labor and parts, and will examine the takeout engine for a root cause.

If its injector cups - they pay the labor bill. If its a head gasket - I pay the labor bill.

I trust the techs and service manager involved to be honest with the outcome. They are as curious as I to know what ails this otherwise healthy 170K mile engine.

(Repeat after me...injector cups, injector cups, injector cups...:)

More Power
03-17-2007, 00:16
Good job!

I'd ask someone who knows, to verify whether the FICM & injectors are compatible with your 2001 ECM & electronics. I suspect so, but... :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
03-17-2007, 12:22
Okay, I am stumped....Fuel Injection Control Module?

The guy that is selling builds performance diesels for motoryachts. He claims dual DMax packages up to 2 x 1,200hp with water/air charge intercooling, water/oil, water/water cooling systems. http://www.marinetechn.com/

Mark Rinker
03-19-2007, 08:54
I spoke with the seller this morning, he said that since the harness and FICM are included, it will plug and play with any 2001-2004.5 ECM. This '01 truck has the stock '02 ECM from my other truck installed at present, for the updated programming. (My '02 has JK's custom tune installed.)

Worse case, I see a VIN mismatch that the dealership can overcome.

JK, can you comment here?

Duramaster
03-19-2007, 21:10
Injectors.............No problem, probably old P/N injectors. Last figure I was given is that the LB7 injectors have been updated 14 tines! As far as the FICM, it is not programmable. In other words, check with the dealer to verify proper P/N for your truck!!!

Oh and one more thing............... Have great fun changing that monster at home in your garage! I have replaced THREE of them. BIG PAIN!!!!:cool: