PDA

View Full Version : Timing Advice Needed

Mikeandwendy74
03-16-2007, 17:39
Hello I am about to rip the front of my 6.2 apart and install a new double roller timing chain and new cam/crank sprockets. Is there anything that anyone can tell me in preparation for this project that will make it any easier? Certain things to do or not to do? I'm confident I can swap it just a little nervous about doing it. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

john8662
03-16-2007, 23:39
Sure.

You'll likely need another spare crankshaft bolt to use for making a harmonic balancer install tool.

Beside the home made tool, you'll need a few more special tools (really not that special).

Torque Wrench capable of a little more than 200 ft. Lbs.
Harmonic Balancer puller (one for a SBC will work fine).
Optional Pulley Pullers (if your crank gear is hard to remove)

You'll need some parts too.

Besides the fluids, you'll probably want to get a Felpro Front Timing cover gasket set.

This set will include:

Waterpump gaskets (one for 6.2 and for 6.5)
Front coolant crossover gaskets
Front Main seal
Timing cover to block gasket
Timing cover to waterpump plate gasket.

I also recommend buying a bottle of Aircraft sealant. It's made by permatex and is in a bottle that has a brush. It's the brown sticky stuff. Coat the timing cover gaskets with this.

Something that might make things easier too is some Gasket Remover in Aerosol. There wasn't a gasket between the timing cover and the block or between the cover and the waterpump plate. GM used an Anerobic sealant. Getting this sealant off is a SNAP with the Gasket Remover, It's like a paint stripper and will remove the gasket sealant, so all you have to do is take a safety razor and gently scrape the stuff off (will be like snot).

Besides that, take note of positions of things, align dots, pretty straight forward.

Oh, one last tip. Right after you remove the waterpump and plate, just before you unbolt the timing cover itself, jack the back of your truck up with blocks under the front wheels to make the back of the truck high to drain some coolant out of the block and into the pan below. Then set the truck back down and continue. This'll keep coolant out of your way during re-assembly.

J

Mikeandwendy74
03-17-2007, 08:35
Thanks for the tips, I bought craftsman harmonic balancer puller and a felpro tcs45554 gasket set to do the job.Got a nice torque wrench for the install also. Here's my question, after pulling the covers should I use a wrench to turn and align the dots before removing the gears? or should I bump it with the starter? Also, when breaking the crankshaft bolt do you guys bump the starter with a wrench on the bolt? or does it come off pretty easily with some elbow grease? I used the aircraft sealent for the crankcase on a 90 hp outboard motor I rebuilt one time stuff worked great, but for the timing covers about how long after total reassembly do you wait before firing the motor back up? Thanks for any help.

john8662
03-17-2007, 13:39
after pulling the covers should I use a wrench to turn and align the dots before removing the gears?

You'll find that you can rotate the engine by hand. Just install the balancer on the woodruff key and turn the engine by hand by grabbing both sides of the balancer.

It would be a good idea to align the marks on the timing chain gears before pulling the assembly.

Also, when breaking the crankshaft bolt do you guys bump the starter with a wrench on the bolt? or does it come off pretty easily with some elbow grease?

It'll try rotating the engine while you're trying to remove the bolt.

Two options, impact wrench or find a way to lock the engine down. I usually take a 1/2" extension and find a place on the balancer to rotate the engine until it wedges in place and locks the engine down. Then you can get it off by hand.

I used the aircraft sealent for the crankcase on a 90 hp outboard motor I rebuilt one time stuff worked great, but for the timing covers about how long after total reassembly do you wait before firing the motor back up? Thanks for any help.

I'd wait a good 12-24hrs before filling everything back up with coolant to be on the safe side. Minimum 12hrs.

J

Mikeandwendy74
03-18-2007, 08:26
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

oilburnertoo
03-18-2007, 09:55
If you still have the fan belt on you can put a wrench/socket and ratchet on the alternator nut and turn the engine over. Works good for unbolting the injector pump before pulling everything else off the front of the engine including the belt.

Mikeandwendy74
03-18-2007, 11:03
AHA another good idea :) thanks