PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler/filter advice

Shikaroka
03-16-2007, 11:29
Does this kit look like it would work well on a 6.5L TD? And, does it appear to be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220021461136&fromMakeTrack=true

Thanks!

Hubert
03-16-2007, 13:47
I question the 4 quart oil filter. Personally I'd have to be able to mount it vertical so I could fill it up on install. A dry horizontal filter that big would take too long to fill up and flow oil IMHO at start up after oil change.

And you should mount it as close to engine block as possible to keep piping losses at a minimum so not sure how you could mount it vertical easily.

I don't know about the 5 psi drop at 30 gpm claim and how that really compares to our trucks. And you'd have to know line routing to really compare. What weight oil was it at? Most filter companies advertise with SAE 30 at some temperature F for a new filter only; 15w-40 may be different especially cold. I have never found the specs for oil pump flow vs rpm. IIRC I think the OEM filter equivalents are rated for something like 7, 9, or 11 gpm flow I can't remember which.

As far as the adpater to engine. It looks similar to how perma-cools works. I don't know if the orientation is adjustable. As shown in picture you would have to be lucky so that orientation worked out as to where the adapter tightens up. If you have a 4x4 you'd need short 90degree elbows out the bottom to be 100% sure it will work. Perma-cool is the only place I have seen elbows that will work. Regular plumbing elbows you can only put one on and you can't install the second because it turns and hits the first.

rjwest
03-16-2007, 16:27
Not all perma cool adapters are the same, some have smaller ports,
and different oil filter sizes ( ford) smaller center thread,

Should call perma cool if interested.

also the perma cool adapter ports can be relieved for larger efective opening.

If using straight bayonet fitings, use marine type, larger opening than ACE.
Marine type have single end flare.

Hoses with baynonet fittings drop less pressure than an type hoses,
again larger opening in baynoet vs an fitting..

Also brass hardware elbows will fit: IF, you round off the square part and
cant one at 45 deg to install 2nd...

Above hardware and dual mounted filters ( FORD type )drop about 2 psi vs stock setup.

I used Ford type adapter due to learning process....

Shikaroka
03-17-2007, 17:36
Ok, I'm lost now.

But, thanks guys.

tommac95
03-17-2007, 19:20
Shikaroka-
It does seem to be a good deal even at 268-BuyitNow.
But you don't need an extra thermostat , do you?
The engine has a thermo inside the filterpad assembly. Figure where you will mount the beast before going further....

I think a key item in a remote for K-series is the adapter mounting to the engine's filter pad. For reliability in mechanical systems one minimizes parts, so get rid of the OEM 90* adapter. Then use a Canton Racing Products adapter off the engine , which eliminates the ()* fittings....

Craig M
03-17-2007, 22:29
I have not heard of any full flow filter that will filter 1 micron. To get 1 micron filtering one usually uses an auxillary bypass filter in addition to the primary full flow filter. Oil guard, Dr Lee and others have described the workings of low flow high filtering bypass filters. A remote mount with a full flow primary and auxillary by pass might be what you are looking for.

Nobby
03-18-2007, 11:07
What are you trying to achieve in purchasing this?

The filter shown in the Picture is a Napa 1792XE made by Wix their. part# is 51792XE. Wix specifies this as a 5 micron filter. I too would be surprised to find a 1 micron full flow filter.

If you are having oil cooler line issues you do not need necessarily need to replace the oil cooler. I kept mine and used an adapter at the original oil cooler, replacing the lines with the stainless braid teflon lines and using AN fittings.
I installed a T in my oil lines for a Bypass filter set up which I prefer to a large fine full flow filter. Filter holders are not that expensive I paid $30 or so for a Wix Bypass filter holder.

The price looking at what is in the picture $269 seems fairly OK considering what you are getting however its not $269 look at the shipping costs it is really $300 with $20 in shipping.

Personally I would not go this route and I think you are paying too much for what looks to be a headache to install and more than you need.

I am not 100% sure but I do not think the 6.5TD has an internal thermostat for the oil. I see on the diagram an Oil Cooler Bypass valve but that as I understand it it is pressure based. Unfortunately I am going by Alldata diagrams and info which are not that forthcoming information wise.

cheers
Nobby

Shikaroka
03-19-2007, 06:45
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
I want/need to replace my lines and I don't want to pay alot just for the lines.
I'd like to get a little better cooling and a little better filtering.

Thanks for the info and advice guys!