PDA

View Full Version : Lots of white smoke on startup and while driving

Jon E
10-13-2003, 17:18
Hello, as I've been looking around on the forum, I've noticed that I seem to be having the same startup problem that others are having, with the excessive white smoke for about 10 seconds. But my truck also stutters and blows white smoke when driving, mostly after sitting at a light, then accelerating. My truck had this problem in the spring, then I had the engine replaced with a new Injection pump, new glow plugs, new injectors and so on. But the problem is still there. The diesel mechanics keep trying to fix it, but they can't seem to find out what is wrong. I need some advice as to what it could be so I can get this problem solved.

Jon

Rob C
10-13-2003, 18:46
Jon,

Let me know who your diesel mechanics are... I live in the NW and may need to take my injection pump and injectors in for testing. Since I don't have a 2nd vehicle, this means I will be on the bus with my parts... I found two Stanadyne shops in the SE on Stanadyne's web page. Would like to know that one or both are good before I hop on the bus.

Rob

ucdavis
10-13-2003, 19:47
Jon,
Members Area has a Troubleshooting Guide in the Reference Section at the bottom w/a chapter on white smoke, black smoke, yada, yada, yada. Check that out for more info. White is unburned fuel (on start-up I'd suspect bad glow plug(s) or glow plug controller). Your on-the-road smoke is more mysterious to me.
Anybody else?

tom.mcinerney
10-13-2003, 21:17
Jon-
Always mention the vehicle year and model. In this case it would be relevant to know if the recently installed engine was new/used, mileage, compression, etc.
There's a 'search' feature associated with the forum. Above right, below 'Post A Reply', click on search, maybe try 'smoke', 'white smoke'. Within the last month member "Damork"(fuel injection engineer) has posted some relevant descriptions.
White smoke at start typically unburnt fuel. On warm running engine could be coolant[head gasket, cracked head/block], or unburnt fuel from dysfunctional cylinders.

Jon E
10-13-2003, 21:18
Rob, I have used both GCL and Performance Assist, and I prefer PAAL. I had some trouble with GCL not honouring their warranty, but so far the work that PAAL has done has been excellent, even though they're having trouble diagnosing my problem.

charliepeterson
10-14-2003, 19:09
White Smoke at a light can be a Head Gasket also. Try sqeezing he top radiator hose before the thermostat opens up. If the hose is firm then exhaust gases are getting into the coolant system.

Jon E
10-15-2003, 11:54
Well again this morning, my truck barely wanted to get going, and it was only -1 Celcius. Could this mean that the gloy-plug controller is shot or possibly my brand new glow plugs.