PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no Deal?

smokestacklightnin'
03-13-2007, 20:04
Hi everyone! Yesterday I looked at an 02 Silverado 2500, 4x4, at, extc, short box,clean, with 72K miles for $13,000. However it has a salvage title. According to the seller, on the previous owner the right front Firestone tire blew up and the truck was heading towards the guardrails. Repairs done: new frame, front fenders, hood, grill, new radiator, ac repair, bumper, steering wheel, etc. The bad: steering is still loose some, airbag light on, small oil trip coming from mid oil pan according to the owner (he has new one but needs to be installed), cluncking noise coming from underneath on deceleration braking. My insurance would insure it but only would pay out 50%. Today I've tried to get an answer from a dealer if GM would still do outstanding recall or TSB work on it. Any advise on the above mentioned issues is gradely appreciated. Johann, Las Vegas,NV

Mark Rinker
03-13-2007, 20:57
Do you like wrenching on your own stuff? If so - its a good price, but be ready to learn alot about your truck. There may more monitoring of this truck after reassembly than most. How many miles on since the repairs completed?

The deceleration clunk sounds like a u-joint but who knows as everything has been apart and back together on this one.

I would request an independent alignment shop report to see if it tracks straight and will run straight down the road. You also should make a list of the items unfinished and expect them to be repaired before agreeing to buy. Its not fixed yet!

Some sort of grace period (30 days) parts/labor should also be in the deal as there will be more gremlins to shake out.

JeepSJ
03-14-2007, 12:50
NEW frame? That is A LOT of work. That would have to be a pretty severe impact to damage a frame to the point of needing a replacement.

Duramaster
03-14-2007, 21:59
I just had a truck in the shop last week Dually crew cab DMAX, etc. Needs injectors. The VIN report from GM shows "SALVAGED TITLE." Therefore, no warranty on his injectors!! Lots-O Luck!:D

smokestacklightnin'
03-14-2007, 22:51
NEW frame? That is A LOT of work. That would have to be a pretty severe impact to damage a frame to the point of needing a replacement.

I don't know but the fact that the truck was about two years old when wrecked and the insurance wrote it off tells me that the damage must have been significant. He told me that the frame cost him about $1,800.

By the way, I like your Jeep set up.

smokestacklightnin'
03-14-2007, 23:08
I just had a truck in the shop last week Dually crew cab DMAX, etc. Needs injectors. The VIN report from GM shows "SALVAGED TITLE." Therefore, no warranty on his injectors!! Lots-O Luck!:D

I talked to the dealer again and "no recall work on salvaged title vehicles. I did some research on this page today and found out that the earlier D-Maxes had problems with injector cup/head gasket leakage and it is apparently a costly matter to fix and not knowing if it is fixed for good. Would newer heads fit or better are there aftermarket heads out there? The truck has only 72K on it and it still cold run into that problem.

Mark Rinker
03-15-2007, 07:15
The issue with head gaskets seems to be a 2001-centric problem. I have an '01 that is down with that issue at present.

Cost is the labor involved to access, remove, repair, and replace the heads. At 170K miles, I am planning to replace the engine as a complete unit, rather than undergo the expense of repairing.

Duramaster
03-15-2007, 22:21
I just replaced heads on a tow truck that had 160k on it. The din dongs were running green coolant instead of the recommended dexcool. The heads were so corroded, the injector sleeves wouldn't/ couldn't seal to the heads. The tapered sealing surfaces were GONE!!!! The guy had an obvious electrolosis proble!:cool: