PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 pump timing

MarcHogenboom
01-14-2004, 03:10
Gentlemen, I need some advice. I'm in the process of converting a GMC motorhome to diesel. For this I bought an unused 1997 6.5 TD with a mechanical pump.Now i'm getting close to the first start up. However before I do that I first have to time the injection pump. There are on timing marks or stamped o's on the front cover, so how do I go about this?? :confused:

cruzer
01-14-2004, 06:20
No timing marks on inj pump or top of timing cover(lines)?
Is this what you're trying to say?

jjbouwens
01-14-2004, 06:33
Hi Marc:
I always thought that the GM diesels were equipped with a mechanical fuel injection pump type DB2 from 1982 until 1993 and from there on they had an electronic controlled fuel injection system with a "drive by wire" accelerator. Anyhow if the pump is controlled mechanically by the accelerator pedal you have a DB2 pump.
Anyhow if this 6.5 TD has never run except in the GM workshop since 1997 then I believe that you have to get rid of all the air first in the injector lines from the pump to the injectors. Timing is set by the GM shop so there I would not worry for the time being that's why there are marks on the pump flange and the engine body. Not far from you in Harderwijk there is a Stanadyne diesel pump service shop "Diesel B

MarcHogenboom
01-14-2004, 07:09
No timingmark on the engine housing, just on the pump, so that does'n do me much good. De engine was shipped with the pump separated,no drive sprocket, no fuel lines, no turbo etc. etc.
It took me a while to get all the parts. Instead of the missing turbo I have added 2 Eatom m45 superchargers with a 8,5-10 psi boost pressure. This should work for maximum torque at low rpm's.
Now that almost everything is on the engine it is time to start it, so i need to do a static timing. Maybe the stanadyne dealer can help me out.

ucdavis
01-14-2004, 12:10
If you are just looking to get it started, you should be able to do that by centering the pump bolts in the slots, thighten & crank her up. Getting it on proper time is another process & somebody w/the mechanical pump can probably post a seat of the pants process?