PDA

View Full Version : Starting the Airbags

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-10-2007, 20:51
Started the installation of the air bags today. Bit of a trick to get all the box bolts off. Ended having to cut a bolt out of the towing hitch and inserting a 3/8 extension through so we could get an impact on the bolt. Finally got it off as it grew dark so will have to wait until Monday to start. Have to build some mounts for the axle and the frame. The airbags are big, (Goodyears off a semi) so it will be a little tricky fitting them in. Will post again with some pictures of the installation and final ride height.

DmaxMaverick
03-10-2007, 22:16
Just curious.....

Why the semi airbags? LT airbags aren't expensive, and much more suited for the capacity you will deal with. The big bags have 6 times the capacity, but more than 10 times the air volume. That translates into a high demand for air. I have airbags (Airlift w/SureSet electronic controller) and won't tow again w/o them. Granted the system costed me $500, but the kit was complete and installed in about 2 hours in my driveway. I've installed them for several friends, and they love them.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-10-2007, 23:24
For the heck of it:D , cause' it's crazy,:rolleyes: , they were free,:) , and I want more payload with a little bit of lift. Once filled, they won't need that much more air to maintain. I hope. :D

a5150nut
03-11-2007, 09:33
For the heck of it:D , cause' it's crazy,:rolleyes: , they were free,:) , and I want more payload with a little bit of lift. Once filled, they won't need that much more air to maintain. I hope. :D

He said sitting on the side of the road //----O----\\ ! Is that you Tim?
Funny where the bug will strike ya!

I can't talk. I was dreaming of a 4 link air bag setup..................

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-12-2007, 22:40
Got the airbags finished today. Still have to stick a compressor and tank on so I can control from in the cab, but sticking an airline in the end of the hose is pretty cool when you can raise the rear end 6". No problems with the drive shaft moving, so that's all good. I'll put some pics on tomorrow of the parts we made and the install. Rear end rides really light now.

NH2112
03-13-2007, 05:19
A mechanical genius friend of mine says the ideal rear suspension would be big rig airbags and a 4-link - run 'em at 2psi empty and you'd have a ride Cadillac owners could only dream about, and add a few psi loaded and you'd still have a great ride.

bcbigfoot
03-14-2007, 13:16
I was in Kelowna yesterday I should have got ahold of you so I could see first hand what evil genius things you were up to in your lab er garage. LOL

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-15-2007, 00:00
Yeah, you could have dropped a line and I would have shown off my latest creation. Air bags go awesome! With a 8 bolt posi Dana 60, two NV4500's trannys, a couple of tool boxs and a couple posi units in the back, the truck still rode super smooth. Due to the fact that the last few days have been spent at the junkyard pulling parts, I have been unable to take pictures of the truck with the box on. I do have pictures of the install though. I will put them on. Oh shoot, I can only get the one picture of the truck from before beacause my network is down and I can't get the pics from the other computer. I'll post a pic of the truck before I added anything.

NH2112
03-15-2007, 03:35
With a 8 bolt posi Dana 60, two NV4500's trannys

I read this and thought you were running 2 NVG4500s in tandem for a trail rig :D