PDA

View Full Version : lots of 6.2 questions

fieroking
03-08-2007, 14:59
hi i just joined the forum.. and i have lots of questions for the 6.2 guys.. ok i own a 1982 GMC 1500 with a ats turboed 6.2.. i just rebuilt the 700 r4 and did all the upgrades and has a custom coverter built for it because the old one kill the last tranny.. the orginal motor broke the crank my dad is putting a new motor in.. so here are my questions

1. we have a 86 and a 91 motor witch one from the factory is better? did GM do any changes to the motor in 91 compaired to the 82 or 86 ??

2. do i need to use a 91 or 86 starter gear aka fly wheel with it or can i use my 82??

3. i am going to be towing my car acrost the us is their and thing i should worrie about with it ??

4. can i do the injector timing my self or do i need special tools to do it..

5. i had the glow plug system upgraded and it still king stared hard is thier any thing i can also do to help it..

6. what upgrades should i do to the motor while it is apart and what should i keep my eye out for when i have it all taken apart...

7. is their any thing special i should do it because it has a turbo ??it pushed about 10- 20 psi ish ??

thanks for the help

sorry for the crappy spelling

Joe sokol USN

john8662
03-09-2007, 14:15
hi i just joined the forum.. and i have lots of questions for the 6.2 guys.. ok i own a 1982 GMC 1500 with a ats turboed 6.2.. i just rebuilt the 700 r4 and did all the upgrades and has a custom coverter built for it because the old one kill the last tranny.. the orginal motor broke the crank my dad is putting a new motor in.. so here are my questions

Bummer on the crank, you'll know more when you get it torn down.

1. we have a 86 and a 91 motor witch one from the factory is better? did GM do any changes to the motor in 91 compaired to the 82 or 86 ??

If it's a '660 cast 6.2 for the '91, it's pretty much the same as the '82, everything will bolt up identically, it will be almost the same as the '86 too. They're both good engines. Internally, the 86 and 91 use pressed steel rockers, verses cast iron in the '82. I'd go with the newer. As far as the "longblocks" they're the same. The '91 bolt ons will be different though, valve cover mounted CDR. The '86 makes the easiest swap if you're dropping the whole thing in.

2. do i need to use a 91 or 86 starter gear aka fly wheel with it or can i use my 82??

Flexplate, use the one for the '82, but it doesn't matter, the flexplate is dependent on the transmission, in this case TH700

3. i am going to be towing my car acrost the us is their and thing i should worrie about with it ??

Keep it cool and make sure you have gauges, EGT and Boost. Should do it.

4. can i do the injector timing my self or do i need special tools to do it..

This is debatable. The timing should technically be set by a meter, but getting it close by the marks on the cover and by ear works for others. I'm fine with both methods...

5. i had the glow plug system upgraded and it still king stared hard is thier any thing i can also do to help it..

Check for air, and verify you have good glow plugs, How cold?

6. what upgrades should i do to the motor while it is apart and what should i keep my eye out for when i have it all taken apart...

Rebuilding it will be an upgrade. You have a few options.

Since you're turbocharged. I'd recommend dropping compression ratio one point. So install the .010 topped pistons, this will give you ~20:1 C/R. I'd also opt out for getting those pistons coated with a certamic heat-rejection coating. Don't cheap out on pistons. Follow what others have tried. Stay away from Silvolite pistons and stick with quality Mahle pistons, or try out the Sealed Power pistons (testing underway by another member).

I also recommend installing DSG stud Girdle kit to keep the bottom end secure.

Keep your eye out for cracks on the main webs. This will be your 1st task in determining whether the block is a builder. Cracks = scrap pile for a rebuild.

7. is their any thing special i should do it because it has a turbo ??it pushed about 10- 20 psi ish ??

Wow, 10-20 Psi on the ATS turbo? I saw around 12psi max with my ATS, so I know which turbine housing you're running. Anything over 12psi is too much for a 6.2 in pulling form. Sounds like you need a turbine housing change for pulling. I can help you there.

[/QUOTE]

edited to add info

fieroking
03-09-2007, 19:00
well i think it is 10 to 12 i havent driven the can in a while LOL thanks for all the help