PDA

View Full Version : Securing 98 K-1500 to trailer.

06bowtie_guy
03-08-2007, 12:46
Hey looking for a good way to secure my 98 on my gooseneck trailer.

I've read threads and am more confused now than before. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on securing the load. Some say not the cross the chains other say yes. Some say run the front chains to the back and the back to the front.

Then there is the question of loading down the suspention or tieing to the rear diff and front lower a-arms.

Here is a pic of the trailer with the truck on it. Had to resize the crap out of it so hope it works.

DickWells
03-08-2007, 19:54
Hi Bowtie: I'm no expert, but I've worked with our goose-neck back home, and I think the best bet is to tie the axle down from the rear, to help hold back in case of a panic stop. Don't want your pickup coming hard up against that goose-neck. In front, I'd go to the A arms, as far out near the tires as possibe. How rugged are those side rails? Look like a good place to tie to, if they're strong. By the way, think about how they put a sling over the tires on those tow-bhind transports that we can rent. No suspension involved there.I've never thought much of tieing up high and compressing the suspension. Too much chance of chain going slack in a whoop-de-do, and coming loose.
Is that a binder I see lying on the back, there? You could get by with only one at each end, but one on each corner would be better.
I've trailered a lot of bikes and atv's, and that system has worked well for me. Although, lots of times, with a bike, you have lots of travel, so you can compress a lot, with no chance of bouncing loose. But,still, you don't need chain with bikes, either.
Good luck.
DW:)

Yukon6.2
03-09-2007, 01:18
Hi
I cross chain side to side and cros front to back.I also chain to the axle and a arms,that way your suspension on the truck will take the bumps.If you load the suspension by chaining to the frame hitting a hard bump could bounce your chains loose. I find that by cross chaining you keep tension on all chaines at all times.Tighteen it down,drive 5 miles or so check the chains,drive20 miles or so if they are still tight you should be good,remember to do a walk around checking chains,tire temps,bearing temps,ect each time you stop.Then you will know sooner if you are having any trouble.
Take your time and don't rush,you will save time in the long run.
Have a safe trip
Thomas

carco
03-11-2007, 14:46
Federal law is a 4-point tie down for motorized vehicles, 4 wheels or more. All 4 corners tied down seperately, can not use one chain across rear from side to side, must be two seperate ties on rear two on front. I use the rear axles and front axles, suspension on trucks. Cars, if substanitial suspension/axles, I use the suspension/axles, but if like most newer cars I use the factory "T", "R" or many "J" slots to tie down with the specialized hooks. bob............

JoeyD
03-11-2007, 17:52
I use the cluster hooks and tie the frame down compressing the suspension. Makes the trailer ride smoother I think as you don't have the trailer bouncing and the truck bouncing.
I use 2 chains in the rear and then use two straps on the front with the cluster hooks on them pulling the vehicle forward and down.

Craig M
03-12-2007, 18:35
Carco has the right data. Use minimum of 4 tiedowns. I would use 2 from the rear axle area toward the rear of the trailer, and 2 from the front axle area to the front of the trailer. On a relatively light load like this do not worry about compressing the suspension. After all is tied down apply parking brake and put vehicle in park. Criss crossing gives increased lateral stability (but decreased longitudinal capacity), but is not really required for this type of load. I have crisscrossed before, but for a load like this I would probably skip it. Am more woried about vehicle going forward or backward, and less about it going sideways.

More Power
03-13-2007, 22:18
I've asked quite a few people about how to tie down a truck on a trailer. Lots of opinions... Here's how I did/do it.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/lilredontrailer01.jpg

The above pic shows that the straps are anchored at an angle to the frame crossmember beneath the engine. I also screwed 2x4 cleats onto the trailer deck inside each front tire. This should prevent the truck from creeping sideways on rough roads. The transfer case is in 4WD, trans in park and the emergency brake is applied.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/lilredontrailer02.jpg

The strap ends are clipped into holes in the rear of the frame. I pulled the suspension down 2-3 inches. The trailer fenders would prevent the truck's rear tires from sliding sideways off the trailer, in the event of a emergency turn. So far, the tires pretty much stay where I park them, even after a 600 mile trip. I've put about 4,000 miles on the truck trailer combo just like you see it here. No problems. :)

Jim

Willcoc
03-14-2007, 10:46
Carco talked about needing 4 tie-downs since it has 4 wheels. So would that apply to 4-wheelers also? Don't normally use 4 on that application.

Hubert
03-14-2007, 17:35
In general there is a rule that the sum of the chain/straps/binders etc strength must be 1.5 times (minimum) the weight of the cargo. Absolute minium of 2 straps on anything and 1 strap for each 10 ft of lenght of cargo. I am not sure if thats working load strength (my guess) or breaking strength.

I have heard DOT will site wrecker drivers if they use ordinary proof chain. It must be transport rated and identified.

It depends on the officers if they will pull over individuals. The nylon straps are getting more and more popular and in some cases better than chain. I assume the same strength rule applies. Problem is its not rated the same as chain grades so don't rip off any tags so you can defend yourself.

carco
03-15-2007, 18:40
Willcoc, we were hauling a 25 ton rated wrecker body on a trailer behind a tandem axle wrecker and were Missouri DOTed. The body was considered a motor vehicle and therefor had to have 4 individual corner tie downs. We had one front and one rear chain, L to R had to be 4 chains, also happened to have 2 nylon straps over the middle, they did not count. I can here that Missouri DOT enforcement officer saying, yes its small but an ATV is a motorized vehicle and therefor has to have a 4 point tie down. Thats an out of service violation! Also matters if you hauling commercially or John Q Public hauling privately.
Craig M. is correct.
More Power's will work great and if ties properly the tires will stay on the bed even if turned 90 degrees.
Had a TLB backhoe and trailer on its side still chained to the trailer perfectly, recovered whole unit as one piece no problem.
Properly tied down means the load will stay with the trailer in all but the worst accidents.

big61fourby
03-15-2007, 20:53
Had a TLB backhoe and trailer on its side still chained to the trailer perfectly, recovered whole unit as one piece no problem.
Properly tied down means the load will stay with the trailer in all but the worst accidents.

Do you have any pics of this TLB on it's side? I'd be interested in seeing how it was tied down...