PDA

View Full Version : mileage and value

kpf
03-07-2007, 08:58
Hi,
I am new to this site and I was wondering if someone might have some advice. I am thinking of buying a 97 sub with the 6.5. It has 220000 miles on it. It has had regular maintenenace. How many miles are these good for?
I know nothing about the 6.5.
Any advice would be great. Oh they want $6800 for the vehicle. Is this good?

sturgeon-phish
03-07-2007, 09:14
What do you intend to do with the Sub? A primary vehicle or backup? By regular maintenance are the records? Are you comfortable working on trucks, or willing to learn?
It is a lot of miles but a lot has to do with what the miles were. Moving passengers on the highway is a far cry from towing a travel trailer through the mountains. There may be lots of miles left. Find out what you can abouth it's history.
Take the VIN to a dealer and they can tell you any warranty work done.
Sometimes a hint of heavy towing is to look at the hitch platform where the reciever pin goes. Heavy towing would show wear on the pin holes.
I have three friends with Subs, all with over 200K, and they run fine. They were bought new and have been people haulers primarly.

Jim

kpf
03-07-2007, 09:28
I will be using the sub as a work rig. Carrying a little bit of a load in the back.
Apparently they have all the service records. I dont mind working on vehicles, I have a 97 ford f350 Powerstroke that I work on all the time.
They said the majority of the mileage was on the highway (people hauler)

I am just not sure how reliable the 6.5 is. I have no knowledge about it.
Is $6800 a fair price?