PDA

View Full Version : Funny noise

ktobin
11-28-2003, 04:32
I am hearing a strange noise in upper engine area on turbo side at idle.It is not a normal diesel rattle ,rattle. It sounds like hitting a tin can with a hammer and @ 1000rpms. it disappears. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Thanks in advance!

ToddMeister
11-28-2003, 06:11
Check to see if the heater hose is contacting an injector line over by the turbo area.

pannhead
11-28-2003, 07:36
that and also check heat shields....another thing to check is the crank pulley (bottom of engine attached to harmonic balancer) ,check to see if rubber insides are still together

m-keith
11-28-2003, 08:07
I sometimes have a similar noise in my 95 'burb. On mine, it is the air box rattling against where it attaches to the fender well. Next time you get that noise, pop the hood & place your hand on the air box. If the noise stops, yours is the same problem as mine.

That said, on mine, I believe that noise is just a symptom & not the problem. When I placed my hand on the air box, the noise stopped, but I could still hear a faint vibrating noise coming from the turbo. Therefore, I suspect that the root problem maybe bearing play in the turbo, but I'm not sure.