PDA

View Full Version : I have a few questions

wallew
03-02-2007, 12:19
OK, hopefully now my 1985 M1009 military Blazer is FINALLY on the road from Georgia to here in Denver. It is completely stock. 6.2L engine, TH400 tranny and I believe an NP208 transfer case. Axle ratio should be 308 (I think).

Now to the questions. I've owned a late eighties Suburban about ten years ago with the 6.2l with a Banks turbo. Great truck. Ran well, got 15 MPG right up until it puked the rear main seal and left my wife, my parents, my MIL, my Grandmother and myself all stranded about two miles from our home.

The solution at the time was a complete rebuild, which was excessively expensive back in 1995 so I just sold it 'as is'. So I'm about to jump back into 6.2l diesel trucks again.

I believe that stock HP for this set up is 130 hp. I can't find any torque figures. Does ANYONE have an idea of what the ft/lbs of torque for the 6.2L engine would be at the crank. Yes, yes, I know about parasitic loss. I'm just trying to figure out a baseline.

Also, I KNOW these puppies overheat if you are not careful. I know to install and check EGT, even with a N/A engine. Keep a weather eye out for engine temps as well.

So my NEXT question is has anyone here used Purple Ice (the product I use in all my vehicles now) to lower engine operating temperature. Purple Ice is a radiator additive from Royal Purple that has dropped operating temperature in ANY vehicle I've used it in by 15% - 20%. Which I figure for a diesel is good.

Then I will be changing fluids out to RP. Engine oil, tranny fluid (add a cooler), axle fluid, radiator add Purple Ice. Final additive is a product called Prolong, which has kept me from walking. A good thing after my previous 6.2L puked the rear main seal.

Anyone here have specific information as to WHY I should not do any of this?

Oh, I forgot, I add acetone to the fuel (4 oz per 10 gals) and it seems to help mpg by 1 - 2 mpg in every vehicle I've used it in. Ditto for K&N air filters (double up if possible).

All these are just 'little tricks' that I've used in both gas and diesel engines. So, can you folks help regarding stock HP/Torque figures, using a radiator additive to help keep engine temp lower and has anyone done what I've done and had PROBLEMS that they can report specifically. Not a friend of a friend of a friend experienced, but first hand knowledge.

Sorry for the stupid questions.

jim

waiting impatiently for my diesel Blazer to be delivered