PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the Stanadyne model 80 fuel filter

Mr. Bone
03-01-2007, 17:52
Hello,

Because I'm having difficulty finding a stock replacement for my Stanadyne model 80 fuel filter assembly, I am wondering if anyone has tried and true alternatives/aftermarket filter assemblies. Being able to use a fuel filter that does not cost so much will be good too. I have strong fabrication skills so i can adapt just about any housing.

I simply need to know what will work best with this a non-turbo 6.2L???

thanks

neo
03-01-2007, 21:25
My understanding is the most direct replacement is the Stanadyne FM100. These can be purchased new from (IIRC) reliable Industries, and (again IIRC) a variant was used on the 6.5 I bought one from a yard that came off a 2000 6.5TD C3500 and it is a little different from the ones offered by Reliable. It seems to mount upsidedown in comparison, with the filter fitting "down" inside the aluminum housing as opposed to spinning on from the bottom. But, the nice thing is it has both the OEM WIF and Heater plugs (the pressure transducer was apparently discarded at some point.) Others with more expereince will certainly chime in with better info shortly. Hope this helps.

Mr. Bone
03-02-2007, 08:48
thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the 6.5 assembly because of the sensor capabilities. I actually came across a used model 80 on ebay. It's 20 years old and i'm not will to go through this hassle again. I will wait a couple of days to see if there is a consensus on the most appropriate alt. Thank you.

Mr. Bone
03-03-2007, 12:46
I ended up rehabing my model 80. It was the pressure sensor that was leaking. I removed it and tapped and screwed the hole closed. Got the idea from a thread posted about a month ago. Wow that saved me a bundle. . .at least for now. The up side to getting a whole new filter unit (if I end up having to do that ) is Reliable Industries is about 10 miles away from my house.

Is there any thoughts on testing the heater in the Model 80? Is there a specific resistance i will get on an ohm meter? thanks

NH2112
03-03-2007, 14:14
The best way to test the heater is to carefully pull it out of the filter base, plug it back in, and with the key on spray the heater with a can of compressed air held upside down. This will frost the heater and if it's working you'll see the frost disappear fast. I'm not sure if it gets cold enough in New Orleans to need a fuel heater, though, even if they don't blend the fuel.

I'd definitely recommend adding a secondary filter to your system (I used a Racor 445, with 45S or 60S elements.) The specs I've seen rate the stock filter (Wix 33136 or equivalent) at 10 microns. This is decent, but not great. A 2 micron secondary filter will do a much better job of protecting your fuel system from anything that gets past the primary filter.

Mr. Bone
03-03-2007, 16:40
I'd definitely recommend adding a secondary filter to your system (I used a Racor 445, with 45S or 60S elements.) The specs I've seen rate the stock filter (Wix 33136 or equivalent) at 10 microns. This is decent, but not great. A 2 micron secondary filter will do a much better job of protecting your fuel system from anything that gets past the primary filter.
Thanks for the input Phil. Where do you recommend mounting this secondary filter (keeping in mind i have a box van)? thanks

NH2112
03-03-2007, 18:17
I mounted mine on the engine side of the radiator support, underneath the snorkel. It meant there was some back & forth with the fuel lines, but it's relatively easy to service and you can just let the fuel drain hose hang so it doesn't run over anything when you drain it.