PDA

View Full Version : URGENT in SoCal: Need best 6.2 repair shop

bryan86406
03-01-2007, 12:21
I'm in Southern California (near LA) and need to get some leads on where to take a 1986 Chevy K10 6.2 for diagnosis, possibly leading to rebuild or crate engine. Prefer Chevy dealer or national chain, so insurance company believes their credentials. K10 shows 29K on odo - could be 229,000, but seller claims (no proof) 129,000. Steering gearbox is shot, frame has gearbox mounting 'patch', front factory auto locking hubs have been changed out, just about every gasket or seal is weaping, cooling system won't pressurize and Hydroboost is very weak (goes down to very close to floor).

First estimate was with George Chev in Bellflower, now need second opinion.

I purchased vehicle used from EBay, vehicle was misrepresented, but EBay has insurance that covers major engine, trans, and body/frame. Problem is EBay insurance has $1500 floor (repairs must exceed $1500.00) - to avoid frivolous claims, I suppose. Anyway, compressions are uneven (best is 365 - worst 295, per George Chev) and rocks at idle, and pulses as you use light throttle in starting off. Yeah, I know its a diesel, but these are known to be smooth, if underpowered. I am concerned as these are also known to have weak crankshafts and I suppose driving it with unbalanced compression may play into that weakness.

Okay, dealer tells me that the weak cylinder '295' has scored (ring or walls?); can't tell how bad until engine is torn down, and provides estimate for a crate engine replacement. Dealer tells EBay insurance company a different story. Now I have to take it somewhere else as Ebay insurance wants second opinion.

Any help, guidance or shop leads are welcome!