PDA

View Full Version : On an 06 LBZ Allison, What is the torque rating ?

cowboywildbill
03-01-2007, 09:26
I was wondering since they have added 60 more hp and more torque to the new units, did they upgrade them to handle more? or is just in the range of the LLY and earlier Allisons. I read on a post that 60 or 70 more hp was safe and was curious if that was meant for the new one? I just got a flyer in the mail from GM about my 07 allison, and it warned against power enhancements hurting the drive train. Just curious, Hope you guy's don't get tierd of my questions or poor spelling. Gee I need spell check on the forum. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2007, 09:52
The tranny is supposed to be a little beefier. The more power you get with the late LLY and LBZ is defueled in all but 2, 3 and 4 gears. Even the early LB7 trannies handle much more power in these gears w/o mod's. Improved clutches and increased clamping pressures get the Allison into much higher power handling, and the parts aren't all that expensive. Labor is much of the cost of a tranny upgrade. Allison may have taken some of the aftermarket advice. Their expense at build time would be much less than for an individual. They are already inside it, and buy many more parts than we do, meaning the expense would be minimal. Why they don't build them up in the first place only tells me they expect to sell more parts later. The customer will always absorb the cost, so they'd lose nothing by doing it.....other than later sales.

Although there may have been some hardware upgrades, the ability for the tranny to handle more power is more attributed to torque management (computer control).

There are no stupid questions, and your speeling erors wil likly go unotised by most, and the rest of us won't hold it against you.

cowboywildbill
03-01-2007, 20:04
Tanks fer de reeply. I guess I would be safe with a 40 or 65 hp tune for towing ? Or do you recomend any thing on that route? This replacement truck seems sluggish compared to the one that got wrecked. Maybe this one is just tighter and needs to break in. Only has 1200 miles on it. But our 06 ran stronger and quicker right out of the box. Maybe after the 100,000 warranty expires I would like to beef up the tranny. Thanks

Kennedy
03-02-2007, 09:36
I've been working on my 2007 looking to find what it will safely hold. Tough to say at this point. I will say that with a little tweaking and not much fueling change, I can add a nice 50-70 lb/ft tune and pep up the response a LOT...

cowboywildbill
03-04-2007, 14:37
Sounds great, As soon as I get a little money I will get one of your tunes.