PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed upper rad hose issue!

6.542762mw
03-28-2005, 15:53
Help guys! 93 GMC K3500 6.5 every morning I find that my upper radiator hose has been sucked flat.
Also been having radiator problems, the seams on the drivers side blow out. Currently on 4 NEW radiator. FYI 185k miles new stat, new rad cap,upper rad hose and new water pump. All GM exept the last two radiators. Temp bounces between 195 to 210 when empty. Recovery system seems to work, (I can see fluid moving between rad and tank) Any help at all! Thanks!

Mark

patrick m.
03-28-2005, 16:54
last time i saw that, a guy had installed some intake gaskets backward on a 350 chevy.

rev it up, and the top hose would suck shut.

was there any service done to the truck BEFORE this began?

6.542762mw
03-28-2005, 17:04
Wish there had been, at least then I could point a finger that way. 185k never opened. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

More Power
03-28-2005, 19:05
The volume of coolant decreases as it cools. The radiator cap is designed to allow coolant to be drawn from the surge tank and back into the radiator when a specified amount of vacuum exists. Most caps use a small circular disc shaped valve to handle these duties.

Since you mentioned installing a new rad cap, I'd ask whether there has been any cooling system leak sealer used in this engine? Leak sealer could be causing the rad cap flow valves to stick.

MP

6.542762mw
03-29-2005, 04:53
Always possible to have leak sealer in there but I am not aware of any, I did check that valve on the cap and it seems free...a local radiator shop mentions that maybe the stat is not correct and it doesnt have the flow hole in it. I will be checking that soon too.

thanks for the reply. Anyone else got anything?

Mark

JohnC
03-29-2005, 07:57
Check for good 2 way flow between the radiator and the overflow tank and be sure the overflow tank is vented to the atmosphere. Sounds like for some reason you cannot get fluid back to the radiator as the engine cools down.