PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Swap Issues

trbankii
03-28-2005, 10:55
I've seen a few posts here from people swapping in 6.5 engines and have found a few websites of people that have put 6.5s into Jeeps, Land Crusiers, and other assorted vehicles. Although I realize that there are differences between the 6.2 and 6.5, I'm more interested in swaps starting with a significantly different engine.

What have people out there swapped 6.5s into? What kinds of issues did you run into? Also, since the small block Chevy (SBC) seems to be the "standard" engine to transplant, what are some of the key differences between the 6.5 and the SBC? Taller? Wider? I know the 6.5 is heavier, but how much heavier?

Many thanks for the insight.

Docfranco
03-28-2005, 13:24
I am just finishing up a 6.5 TD swap into a 1980 IH Scout II. I had a 2 bodylift which helped get some more room. I still had to do some firewall mods to fit the exhaust manifold in and crossover pipe. i will have to mod my heater because its in the way of the turbo & downpipe. I would offer you this little tidbit....have the doner vehical handy and do try to go with a pre 94 to eliminate some electrical pains. Mine is a 1998 and did not have the donor truck handy. It cost much more because of that. If you have any other specific questions let me know. I do not know much about the 350 sorry...

JohnC
03-28-2005, 13:56
I shipped one recently with exhaaust manifolds and turbo but no accessories. It weighed in at a cool 1000 lbs including the crate.

trbankii
03-28-2005, 17:36
Thanks for the replies. I definitely plan on getting the whole vehicle and keep it until everything is swapped over and running. :D

A few people have recommended the manual pump version over the electronic one. Others say that the later model electric versions got the bugs worked out. Personally, I'd say one less electrical gremlin to chase, the better. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Docfranco
03-28-2005, 18:24
I CAN NOT convince you otherwise. As me how i know...

trbankii
03-29-2005, 04:47
Something tells me that your answer is "personal experience" with the matter? :D

Looks like if I could find a '93 with an NV4500, that would be the point to start with. The '93 NV4500 would also get me the granny low gear.

From there, go through the DieselPage articles for the various upgrades -- timing gears, double T-stat, etc.