PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem

tburch
02-23-2007, 17:40
My 1994 K2500 6.5TD has recently started turning over fairly slowly when I try to start it. The engine cranks fast enough to start if it is hot but is very hard to start if cold. The batteries are new and I checked all the cables and cleaned all the grounds. I've never had a starter that went bad by just slowing down. Is this unusual or is there something I am missing?

redbird2
02-23-2007, 22:10
I would have the starter amp draw test performed 6.5 starter will draw apporxmitly 400-440 amps with battery voltage during the test at minium 9.6 volts. i would also have a cable voltage drop test performed. positive cable from closest cable to starter volt drop should be no more than .6 volts add .2 for each additional connection, also check the ground cables for voiltage drop.

good luck.

tburch
02-24-2007, 17:48
Well today it turned over a couple of times slowly then stopped entirely. Looks like I'm pulling the starter. Thanks for your help.

waljustia
02-25-2007, 23:37
I just put a new one (Refurb from salvage yard) on my truck 2 days ago. This was the 3rd time I took it off. It burned up originally, and I replaced the brushes in it, but it was still cranking slow like you were describing, but never stopped alltogether. The new one cranks much faster :).