PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recommendation ??

j7l2
01-13-2004, 13:04
Hello, now that the cold weather is here for most of us, what do TDP members recommend as far as brand and size of batteries? Anyone tried Dekas? How about Excide Orbitals? I have had too many sets of Delco side post leakers. My Optimas died last Saturday after 3 years. Give me some help. Thanks in advance for your input.
Regards,
JimO

Dvldog 8793
01-13-2004, 13:56
Howdy
I have the Optima red tops. I've had them for 2 years now and haven't seen ANY loss in power. I also replaced all my cables and connectors. I now have 2/0 with compressed ends and top post lugs. It was a full days work but after fitting corrosion for years it was worth it.

Bobbie Martin
01-13-2004, 15:51
I have one each of the Optima & Orbital (don't ask!). I would say as far as the battery capacity is concerned, they are equal. I like the Orbital better because of the placement of the side terminals. On the Orbital, its where every other battery is. On the Optima they are about an inch or so towards the middle. The problem is on the right side it fouled the air cleaner tube so I had to install it on the left side. The terminal is a bit farther away for the ground and it stretches the cable just a bit. For that reason alone, I would recommend the orbital.

EscaladeDiesel
01-13-2004, 19:57
Interstate Brand. I have more brands of batteries than I care to mention, but the one brand that has always lasted and worked well was the Interstate brand.

tswartos
01-13-2004, 20:30
I've had good luck with Interstate in diesels for years as well. If u have access to a local Interstate warehouse, u can purchase a "blem" battery for half the price of a new one and the only issue with the battery is usually cosmetic and u still receive the same warranty.

dieseldummy
01-13-2004, 22:17
I know a lot of people seem down on delco batteries, but we have always run delco's in all our equipment, 930 CAT loader, 4 wheel drive JD, trucks, to my pickup. They have always out lasted the 5 or 6 year warrenty and always had plenty of cranking power. Just my personal experience, BTW I now always use the bolt improvment method to the side termial connections and have no problems with them.

AndyL
01-14-2004, 03:08
Wally World has a 875 CCA 1000CA top and side post with 3 year free replacement for $58 each, best value I could find.

EscaladeDiesel
01-14-2004, 06:34
I used to buy Delco batteries at K-mart, they came with a three year free replacement, and boy-o-boy did I have to replace them. Sometimes they'd last a month, sometimes they'd last a year, but worse than that, they'd leave me stranded. I have never had an Interstate battery fail me.

01-14-2004, 07:03
I bought a 93 3500 two years ago. It had one new wal-mart bat. and and old bat. The old battery was weak I pulled it out to check it out and the water was very low. I checked the date on it and it was 93. It was a Champion Trailblazer. I have never had that kind of service out of batteries on anything. When the wal-mart batteries go that is what will go back in. billh.

whatnot
01-14-2004, 10:24
I had an old walmart battery laying around that had been over-charged real bad once. It was originally bought in '98 or '99.
I took it into walmart and they gave me $20 cash for it. (which I used towards two new ones)

j7l2
01-14-2004, 12:12
I liked the Delco batteries except for every 12 to 14 months the positive side terminal would start leaking acid. Of course this would destroy my battery cable. Finally the Delco dealer said no more replacements and paid for my Optimas. I thought the Optimas should last longer than 3 years. Are off-road tractor batteries built any better than automotive ones? How many CCA should be the minimum for batteries for our trucks? What are the members from Canada and Michigan and the other extreme cold regions using? Thanks for your suggestions and I hope to hear more.
JimO

Turbine Doc
01-14-2004, 15:26
While Optima is optimum :D , I've had good luck with Autozone Duralast Gold. Both top & side post on same batt good for jumping others, or adding marine wing nut clamps for accessories. Also come with 8yr prorated warranty, 1st 3 years free replacement buy in pairs with same mfg date code, 2 batts for a little more than 1 Optima if you are on a budget, if not go Optima.

damork
01-15-2004, 05:36
I just switched from the AC Delco leakers to Sears Diehard SUV series group 78. The Delcos worked fine, but just seemed to have weak side posts, especially the passenger side battery + terminal.

I was hesitant on the Diehards at first, but they have 875CCA, both top and side posts and spins the engine fast even sub zero. Time will tell...

j7l2
01-15-2004, 06:10
For those recommending Optima: Which ones, red, yellow or blue top? The Optimas I had for the last 3 years were red top. Am I expecting batteries to last too long? I thought the Optimas would go 5 years, but maybe diesels are harder on batteries and 3 years may not be that bad a life expectancy. Also the CCA on the Optimas seemed lower. Has anyone had the side post terminals leak on brands other than Delco? Thanks for all the input so far.
JimO

Dvldog 8793
01-15-2004, 06:42
Howdy again...
I use the red top, they have the highest rating and would fit in my truck. BEWARE of battery ratings, its really kinda a voodoo science! :rolleyes: I went to consummer reports and used their rating system as a base line and then talked people of experience. My uncle has a fleet of about 20 diesel Fords. For the most part they use the cheapest batteries. He has 4 trucks that go to remote areas of North Dakota on service calls, those trucks have Optima batteries( and many other mods). Just remember that your batteries are only as good as your cables and conections. The long cable across the top can drain ALLOT of juice and also the cable that goes directly to the starter. The starter cable can really take a beating because of the heat it absorbs from the engine. I used all the top post conections because it is easier to see when they are corroded and they are eaiser to maintain.
Three years should be well within battery life. Again it really depends on use and abuse. I think I would try getting some warrenty out of the Optimas.
Hope this helps!
l8r
Conley

cruzer
01-15-2004, 09:35
A friend of mine tried deep cycles for his Ford diesel and found out they would not crank the engine over fast enough for it to start. It was an expensive lesson to learn.FYI

I have had Autozones Gold for the last 5 yrs. They seem fine.

Barry Nave
01-15-2004, 14:45
Cruzer
Same hear :D
Duralast get my vote ;)

EscaladeDiesel
01-15-2004, 18:51
Oh yeah I forgot. 6 months ago I got a pair of Sears SUV Batteries when the pair of 5 month old Champions (replacement for the Delco's that K-Mart stopped carrying) failed and sears was across the street. So far they have been problem free. I too had trouble with the Delco batteries leaking acid from the side mounts.

Gapper_ca
01-16-2004, 08:20
I replaced both batteries in my truck when i got it with Sears brand. go the top of the line ones a with the 3 year 100% repalcement and 7 year total warrenty. they have worked great for over a year now so will see if they last 3 years, friend has had a diesel since first 6.2l came out and has said that the battery's only last 3 years and then can get a summer out of them. but not another winter. not sure but his truck always started.