PDA

View Full Version : oil and coolant problem

82blazer
02-21-2007, 20:27
I have an 82 Blazer 6.2l NA. I'm getting oil in the coolant my first thought was head gasket. A "6.2 expert" said that the early 82's had some sort of head issue with a coolant and oil port running side by side and a crack developing between them. So I changed the heads to a set of 83's I had. I have driven the truck approx. 100 miles and still seem to have the problem. Now I'm thinking oil cooler in the radiator. I'm not a beginer (learned the hard way on the 5.7's) but I'm not an expert either. What I am is stumped. Any advice? Help and thanks.

john8662
02-22-2007, 00:24
I think you figured out your problem already.

There are no pressurized oil ports in the heads, so the likelyhood of oil getting into the coolant is slim to none.

The factory oil cooler in the radiator sounds VERY suspect. I recommend having that tested out. Remove the radiator and test, or just replace the cooler in the tank (shop can handle this).

J

82blazer
02-22-2007, 17:42
Today I took loose the oil cooler lines at the radiator and tried to put air through but I'm still not sure. The oil was pretty thick and I'm unable to flush because of cold( hose frozen) but I didn't see any air. Didn't they go to external oil coolers on the 6.5? Does anyone know why? Thanks for the reply but I'm still wondering.:confused:

john8662
02-22-2007, 21:13
The 6.5's did go to external cooling, because they needed the additional oil cooling, and didn't need to be adding heat to the water temp.

I think it's your cooler. Hard to tell unless you can pressure up the line securely and carefully watch for bubbles.

J