PDA

View Full Version : Electric fan in front of radiator

vic
10-13-2003, 07:05
I have a 1995 6.5 diesel in a motor home and it has a electric fan in front of radiator . I am wondering when it is susposed to run? I tried moving the blades by hand but it will not turn.
The engine has been running hotter than normal until the clutch fan kicks on.
thanks Vic

richard7
10-13-2003, 07:17
If fan doesn't turn with a simple push with your finger, it is seized. You will have to replace it.

The fan will work depending of how it is wired up. It is either working when the A/C is engaged, or thermostat controled (swithed on when a determined temperature is attained), or working all the time the engine is running, to help the standard mechanical fan.

ucdavis
10-13-2003, 11:55
Vic,
1) Welcome.
2) Fan is supposed to be wired to A/C so that call for ac turns on fan regardless of operating temps. Fan should freewheel when off. The coils visible in front are the ac condenser coils; radiator is behind that and separated by about an inch. That invisible inch is famous for collecting crud unseen & killing cooling capacity.
3) If you are starting to run even a little hot STOP driving except to get service. Ask Journeydog who posts here; his overheated suddenly & he has the pleasure of a new engine after burning more than a few brain cells & more than a few bucks on the project.
4) If you've got any motorhome-type chat, drop me a line @ mike@fleming.cc; my coach is a Safari Trek and I love it.