PDA

View Full Version : Allison transmission on a 6.5L

JSteward
02-18-2007, 12:02
I'm contemplating and probably going to put a new engine in my truck (see post "Kaput"). Well part of what is holding me back from pumping $5k into a new engine is the fact that I'll probably wind up having to replace the tranny too before too long (as well as the FSD, etc).

One thing I don't like about the truck is the 4-speed transmission. I'm sure I'd get much better MPG if I had a 6-speed. If I do replace this engine, can I later replace the transmission with a 6-speed Allison as with the DMAX's? Would the '96 computer be able to handle a newer transmission..?

Thanks

-Jason

jmpidgeo
02-18-2007, 12:27
I'm contemplating and probably going to put a new engine in my truck (see post "Kaput"). Well part of what is holding me back from pumping $5k into a new engine is the fact that I'll probably wind up having to replace the tranny too before too long (as well as the FSD, etc).

One thing I don't like about the truck is the 4-speed transmission. I'm sure I'd get much better MPG if I had a 6-speed. If I do replace this engine, can I later replace the transmission with a 6-speed Allison as with the DMAX's? Would the '96 computer be able to handle a newer transmission..?

Thanks

-Jason
I don't think it is much an issue of the 1996 computer being able to handle it, its getting it to fit onto the motor and in the truck. as far as i know, the trans has its own computer, so you should be able to get the trans, TCU, and wiring right from a truck equipped with such a transmission, and wire it all up...That is just me taking a stab at it though...i am not certain, but i do not see the tranny and motor being operated by the same computer.

DickWells
02-18-2007, 20:38
:) Jason: Sounds like you could benefit from delving really deep into the DP archives, and also maybe getting set up with a good selection of Jim's manuals from the Member's area. There's a whole bunch of stuff that's been hashed over in here. If it's possible, someone on the DP has done it.
I expect, but don't quote me, that the Al trans would stand you at least a couple of grand out of a used unit. Somewhat likely that you could buy a whole wrecked D-Max for about the same price that they would want for parting out the transmission separately from the engine. Anyway, you would deffinately nead all the wiring and control unit from either piece. My oppinion is that the L80E is a pretty darn good transmission. Staying with that gearbox would save you a lot of money, even if you had to swap out the original.
Seems like I read that you won't be able to do the work yourself. Too bad, because paying someone else to do what you are looking at is going to be a BIG factor.
Keep searching in here for the info you're looking for. Someone will have it.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Good luck.
Dick

DickWells
02-18-2007, 21:52
Jason: Sorry, I just posted this under Kaput, before I remembered that I had seen you here under Allison in 6.5. Anyway, I think it'd be worth your while to go look in the Classifieds at the 6.5 parts that Fatty-something has for sale. Great stuff at great prices, if they're as advertised.
I'd take a hard look at it if it was me.
Dick:)