PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather problem today ?????

markmartin
02-15-2007, 17:31
I have a 94 3500 6.5turbo with 105k miles, I use this truck to pull my car trailer (I own a used car lot) This truck has been very dependable, always starting in cold weather, BUT today my son got in it to drive it home and it was a little hard to start (seemed like fuel starvation he said) it started and he drove it home 11 miles with no problem. He started to turn the trailer around and it quit on him, it would start back after letting it set for a couple of minutes but seems to be starving for fuel. My fuel tank was just filled and I am wondering if its water in the fuel or something, I added some HEAT for diesels but am stumped on this one. I have put about 5 thousand miles on it since I bought it, it looked to have a new injector pump on it when I bought it. ANY HELP would be appreciated, it is now blocking my driveway

Thanks Guys

Mark in Ky 18 degrees.......

DaveNY
02-15-2007, 17:54
No codes or ses light I'd guess your gelling a bit. It takes time for the Heat or any other anti gel to mix with a full tank. Should be added prior to fill up. Have Experienced this with big truck at work, couldnt get Cat to go off idle without warming the filter even after 1/2 agl of Howes.Check filter for petroleum jelly like substance. Good Luck Dave

markmartin
02-15-2007, 17:56
he said the ses light was coming on and off.......

DaveNY
02-15-2007, 18:02
Got some codes?

TJ Moose
02-15-2007, 18:34
Yeah - check codes (the old paperclip method Kennedy has on his website tips) Also - check to make sure your lift pump is working. 18 degrees in Kentucky? You poor bas..........! (50 in Seattle - sorry dudes.)

markmartin
02-15-2007, 19:01
do I have to have a scanner, orwhat, can you steer me toward a link to find out how to check my codes?

Thanks

DaveNY
02-15-2007, 19:58
Go to Members area and scroll down to Trouble shooting and diagnostic code for your year, when article opens there is a complete explanation of how to access the codes.
Dave

markmartin
02-15-2007, 20:21
any help retrieving my codes?

redbird2
02-16-2007, 00:46
are you buying fuel locally and at a place that sells a lot of fuel you could just have fuel that go some water in it freezing, possible gelling unlike at only 18 my trucks have been starting for the most part well here in IL with temps at -5 and below few problems 4 or 5 out of 160 trucks so not bad and those are the spare trucks that still had straight #2 in them from last fall.

I would try changing fuel filter with filter out have your son trun on key might have to put in crank postion to power up lift pump make sure it bring fuel to the filter put new filter in and try restarting see what happens

if the truck is straving for fuel I think it could throw a code all but one of my trucks have mechanical pumps I know my cummins throw SES codes when the freeze up
Good Luck

markmartin
02-17-2007, 07:57
Got up Friday morning, 12 degrees, the truck started fine, I drove it 100 miles on a round trip to pick up a car, it never missed a lick. You think it might have just been a small amount of water in the fuel or something ?

Thanks for all you guys input

Mark