PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak

bobt
02-15-2007, 00:43
I have a '93 6.5TD dually, 4L80E. Over past several months, I am seeing a small fuel leak that is slowly getting bigger. I'm not using the truck right now since I use it primarily for traveling/camping which I'm not doing currently. The fuel leak is showing up on drops off the oil pan and converter housing. The truck sits slightly high in the front, but the entire engine valley shows damp. As far as I can tell, there is no leaking around the fuel filter area or the lines to/from the filter. The engine(long block) was replaced with a new one in 2000. The truck has 101,000 original miles on it,but the long block has only 36,000 miles. I assume (need your knowledge here) that when the long block was installed, they used my old injection pump, injectors, and glow plugs, etc. Right? I failed to ask this question of the mechanic. I don't think the injector lines at the pump are leaking, from what I can see. Based on stains I see on sides of the injection pump, I'm thinking the leaks are coming from the linkages coming out of the injection pump. Is this possible or likely??
Bob

DA BIG ONE
02-15-2007, 02:40
A leaking intake manifold will allow fuel to leak at speed. If intake was removed and installed w/hard fuel return line tabs under it the truck will run but leak fuel too.

a5150nut
02-15-2007, 06:56
If the truck has just been sitting, not running I would be looking at the o-ring deal on the bottom of the fuel filter housing.

gmctd
02-15-2007, 12:20
Yes, the throttle shaft seals age\heat-harden, and can be in-frame replaced (in the truck), if you're multi-dexterous.

The advance-rod o'ring seal can leak, and can be done at the same time.

And the governor-adj screw on the rear face.

See your friendly local Stanadyne IP repair shop for details.

How about the HPCA terminal seal, and the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid terminal seal, and the rubber Fuel Return hose-clamp - wet?

bobt
02-16-2007, 01:06
Thanks for replies. Intake manifold hasn't been touched since 2001. The bottom of the fuel filter housing and connections are dry to the touch. The leak occurs as a result of the vehicle running. I'll check out some of the other connections up front where the leaking seems to be coming from.
Bob

DA BIG ONE
02-16-2007, 05:38
Thanks for replies. Intake manifold hasn't been touched since 2001. The bottom of the fuel filter housing and connections are dry to the touch. The leak occurs as a result of the vehicle running. I'll check out some of the other connections up front where the leaking seems to be coming from.
Bob

My burb had it's intake off several yeras ago "at the dealer" it ran fine w/intake & fuel leak onto area you mention when running. However, it runs better w/intake properly installed, so if no leaks found else where suspect it..

JohnC
02-16-2007, 10:41
There are 2 fuel lines that come up from the tank across the back driver's side of the bell housing. They have short rubber connections just behind the firewall. If the lines are not properly secured they will wear through and leak.