PDA

View Full Version : Water pump/duall thermostat

Craig M
02-13-2007, 13:45
If one adds the duall thermostat set up to an early 80's 6.2 diesel, and retains the v-belts, what is the "correct" water pump to use?

HammerWerf
02-13-2007, 14:28
Craig,

If you retain the V-belts, You retain the clockwise pump you have. Everything still goes clockwise.

Watch for interferences. I'm working on upgrading the belt drive to serpentine. The 95 single outlet crossover does not fit in the 97 brackets I have. Throttle cable mount appears to have to be fab'd up with the standard rear outlet dual thermostat.

Did you get your Chrome question answered?

HammerWerf

john8662
02-13-2007, 15:30
Peninusular offers a 110 GPM waterpump for the 6.2 that works well for the dual stat upgrade on v-belt engines.

The HO 6.5 pump is 130 GPM, so you're close with the Penn pump if you choose to go that route.

J

Craig M
02-13-2007, 16:29
Great, the Penninsular 110 gpm is correct rotaion for the v-belt 6.2 and close to the the gpm of the 6.5 reverse rotation pump. Thanks

Yukon6.2
02-14-2007, 01:26
Hi
Don't be afraid to do the stats first,and pump later.I did the stat upgrade when i first got my truck,i had to wait about a year till the new shipment of Peninsulars high volume pumps came in.The pump is in my goodie pile of parts that will go in when my turbo and charge air cooler get installed.
I havn't had any problems with just the stats,pulled some good loads and havn't had any cooling problems.
You will have to modify your throtle bracket.
Have fun

a5150nut
02-14-2007, 07:40
Check the radiator. Clean it very well. Never now if someone has taken it out to North Main and got it stuck in the Santa Anna (watch for the aftrernoon tide). You would be suprized at the amount of dirt and debrie that gets into these radiators. I run nylon screen between the grill and radiator to keep the bigger stuff out.

moody
02-18-2007, 08:24
I know there has be some concerns with putting the serpentine (130) high flow water pump before theduel stats. is there the same concern with the (110) v-belt pump going in before the duel stats are in?

john8662
02-18-2007, 17:35
I'm going to venture a guess and say that it wouldn't be a problem using the 110 GPM pump with single stat housing found on a stock 6.2.

It would be a worthy upgrade to do them both though.

J

HammerWerf
02-18-2007, 21:33
I've been running the 110gpm pump on my 83CC for a bit over a year. I've not had any problems of note. I just had the thermostat housing off a couple of weeks ago, and I did notice that areas corresponding to where the coolant passes through the thermostat when it is opening, there was no layer of "green" on the surface of the housing. The pattern was showing rather high velocities of the coolant, which appears to not only prevent the deposit of the protective chemicals in the antifreeze, but actively scrubs it away.

HammerWerf