PDA

View Full Version : More power for towing N/A 6.2

J-ROCK
02-13-2007, 11:50
So I've caught a few posts here and there about turning up the fuel and opening up the air box here and there. How much increase in driveability while towing can be gained from this.
I bought my GMC to tow my Toyota to and from the trails and event, it's pretty gutless but I'm not in hurry.. although a little more power would be a nice touch. I'm not interested in dumping a ton of money into this motor so if there are little tweaks that REALLY make a difference lets here them.

Beyond that a nice Cummin turbo swap seems easier and cheaper and more rewarding then a banks turbo or 6.5 swap.

DmaxMaverick
02-13-2007, 16:58
There's not a whole lot you can do, but you can improve it some.

1. SAA (I think that's the name. Swanger/Avant Air, or something like that). Essentially a redesigned air intake with dual/stacked OEM size filters. Try a search for it, or check out the Member's area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm). It may not be online anymore, but is available in the reprints. Ask Jim about it.

2. Headers and larger exhaust with a balance pipe. Speaks for itself.

3. Turn up the IP. Install an EGT gage so you can watch the resultant increase. You don't want to go too high.

These can be done relatively inexpensive, and you won't sacrifice mileage (much), reliability, or durability. The results will get you close to what you'd get with a turbo.

Maxxman23
02-13-2007, 17:10
Where do you find Headers for the 6.2?

J-ROCK
02-13-2007, 19:31
There's not a whole lot you can do, but you can improve it some.

1. SAA (I think that's the name. Swanger/Avant Air, or something like that). Essentially a redesigned air intake with dual/stacked OEM size filters. Try a search for it, or check out the Member's area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm). It may not be online anymore, but is available in the reprints. Ask Jim about it.

2. Headers and larger exhaust with a balance pipe. Speaks for itself.

3. Turn up the IP. Install an EGT gage so you can watch the resultant increase. You don't want to go too high.

These can be done relatively inexpensive, and you won't sacrifice mileage (much), reliability, or durability. The results will get you close to what you'd get with a turbo.

Thanks for the info, I notice this thing is a bit of a smoker on hills or hard excel... Oh well if I can get through this summer with the beast I'll save for a cummins swap.

More Power
02-14-2007, 00:06
You can work toward a 10% increase in NA 6.2 power by incorporating the efficiency mods we've discussed through the years here in TDP. A Banks turbo will net you up to a 30-40% improvement. Diesel engines respond well to turbocharging - as does the 5.9...

How does a properly setup Banks 6.2TD compare to a stock 6.5TD? Very nearly the same for 0-60, 1/4-mile, and towing performance. Motor Trend actually made this comparison in late 1991. In their tests, the Banks 6.2TD slightly outperformed the brand new (at the time) 1992 model year 6.5TD.

Jim

john8662
02-14-2007, 00:33
Tell us a little more about your rig...

What gears?

1/2, 3/4, 1 ton?

Transmission?

If it's a 1/2 ton truck, it's the "C" series 6.2 and can be turned up a bit and you'll be surprised over it's stock performance.

This will take the form of a J-series intake manifold and turning up the fuel slightly (about 1/16th turn - will explain more later).

J

arveetek
02-14-2007, 08:15
Beyond that a nice Cummin turbo swap seems easier and cheaper and more rewarding then a banks turbo or 6.5 swap.

I'll have to disagree with that comment. While a 5.9L might make more power and be a stronger engine overall, it's definitely nowhere near as easy or cheap as modding a 6.2L/6.5L. I've read and heard from several folks who have done Cummins swaps, and none have ever said it was easy!

With that said, I towed a 5th wheel many, many miles when my truck was in n/a form. Definitely follow the advice given above. Open up the intake and exhaust, and turn up the fuel. Bump the timing up a bit as well. It'll make a lot of difference over the stock settings.

Casey

J-ROCK
02-14-2007, 11:26
My truck is an 1989 GMC extra cab long box
4spd manual trans, 4x4, 14 bolt rear end and Im not sure what gear it has yet but it's pretty low.
Gearing is not the issue though, I'm not a total newb, I build some pretty fun toys in my spare time..

Anyways, I did just put on a pretty much stock exhuast system trying to keep it a little more quiet, it's 3" inlet 2.5" out muffler that rest of the system is stock.
I look into opening up the air box a little, if one of you have a link of some more details that would be great. Any info is good info when it comes to these motors.

The cummins motor seems to be far superior to me, we tuned a buddies 12v in a couple hours, adding a different turbo body for faster spool up, adjusting the IP and air intake and thats pretty much it. That motor will pull a fully loaded 10,000lb trailer like it's not even there... unloaded that truck with 3.55gears and 35" tires, 1981 quad cab, short box and armour pulls like a hot rod.
To produce those results from a 6.2 or even 6.5 would be well over $5000 cdn. where as a 12V cummins with trans and t-case can be had for half that.

Just an observation... I'd still like to get the most from this old 6.2 in the meantime.

Thanks.

88sub
02-18-2007, 08:39
Where do you find Headers for the 6.2?
www.stans-headers.com has headers around 450.00

More Power
02-18-2007, 15:07
JR, when comparing the 6.2 to a Cummins mod$ for mod$, you'll not likely be satisfied with the 6.2. I say swap. Nobody I know runs a 5.9 without a turbo. Those 6.2 owners who need a significant boost in power have to have one too.

For those who wish to maintain their 6.2, there are ways to add enough power to satisfactorily accomodate the vehicle's original factory GVW & GCVWR.

When modded, the newer common-rail diesels, and a few older designs with more capability (like the 12v Cummins), are all beyond the potential of the 6.2/6.5. Our goal here in TDP is to help 6.2/6.5 owners achieve a reliable performance level that satisfies the GVW & GCVWR of these trucks. They can do it and they can do it well. :)

For the record, the stock 1992-93 6.5L turbodiesels handily outran and outpulled the stock 12v Dodge in 1992-93. In addition, typical stock EFI 6.5/4L80-E performance outpaced what the stock 1999 Dodge ISB/47RE achieved in the 1999 Pull-Off. :)

For the sake of comparison, RJ's 6.5 is now in the same Pull-Off performance realm as where the stock Duramax was in 2001 though 2005 (low-mid 50's in top speed at the mile, with a 10K trailer on a 6% grade, and from a standing start).

Jim