PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Oil leak from Filter area...

J-ROCK
02-13-2007, 10:42
I was putting a new muffler and tailpipe on my well used but new to me GMC 2500 last night. I noticed a pretty steady oil leak and started looking around.
Turns out that it's leaking from the Oil filter area, there is the aluminum body the filter threads on to and it's leaking from there somewhere.
Does anyone have an ideas as too what is going on up there.
The filter is tight, someone told me that it's replaceable part ( the filter assembly thing there)... any insight is appreciated.

john8662
02-14-2007, 08:22
Possibly a bypass filtration unit.

Is the filter mounted Horizontally or Vertically?

It also sounds like it may be an adapter from a 6.5.

J

J-ROCK
02-14-2007, 11:15
The filter is horizontal... and I've since learned that it's a filter adapter to clear the 4wd. There is a seal kit out there that should take care of the issue. Thanks for the reply!

john8662
02-14-2007, 11:46
Yep, according to your other thread, your truck is the newer body style to house the 6.2, so you have IFS 4x4, and the front driveshaft passes on the driver's side verses the passenger's side.

So, you have an oil filter adapter. You need a seal kit for sure. There are three o-rings in that adapter, two for the bolt and another large one around the diameter of the adapter sealing to the block.

FYI, edit your signature with your rig information, helps identify with your specific year, there were several changes throughout the years.

J

J-ROCK
02-14-2007, 20:39
Thanks I will.

J-ROCK
02-14-2007, 21:29
Another question, whats a good donor for 5spd manual tranmissions?
This 4spd runs outta legs a little to soon.

murphyslaw
02-19-2007, 00:40
I had a massive leak around the filter location. It is also mounted on an adapter horizontally. there is a huge bolt that holds the adapter on. mine was very loose I put a socket on it and snugged it down and wham no more leak.