PDA

View Full Version : engine lift question

derekja
02-13-2007, 10:36
from the alldatadiy manual...

"
Install the engine lift bracket to the rear of the right cylinder head. NOTICE: Refer to Damage May Result From The Use Of An Improper Bolt When... in Service Precautions. NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Caution and Notices.
Install J 36857 along with GM P/N 94282217 bolt and GM P/N 15650963 washer to the right rear cylinder head. Tighten the lift bracket bolt to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.).
"

Chilton just says "remove the engine" in that beautifully terse technical manual style...

I have a hard time believing that all you thrifty folks are actually going to the dealer to buy a special bolt for this. Are you?

A few sentences describing safe lifting procedures would be most welcome. Thanks!

Robyn
02-13-2007, 14:30
OK Grasshopper
The lifting brackets are already on the engine.
One on the pass head at the rear and one up front on the drivers side head.
Use a piece of heavy chain with two of those screw together links (has the nut that screws back and forth to close the link.)
Chain link size should be 5/16" diameter material.
Use a piece of chain that will hook into both lift eyes and raise to a point about 6-8 Inches above the air plenum.

Real simple.
The 6.5 with all the craqp off of it weighs about 70-800 Lbs so use a lift that is capable of 1000Lb minimum.
I use the Bucket on the Bobcat here at the ranch to hook my chain hoist to.

I would not recommend the rafters in the garage as you may end up with the roof on the top of the rig.

I have used the roll around lifts that you can rent and they work fine.

A floor jack to hold the tranny up is needed too. The small 1 ton units ya buy at the parts store is fine to hold the gear box (Auto tranny)
Place a piece of ply wood across the jack to protect the tanny pan.

Hope this helps some
Robyn

Turbo Al
02-15-2007, 13:27
Yep, my lift brakets are there I used them yesterday, kinda cheated though used a tow truck boom to remove cab then used the boom to remove engine and trans at same time -- LIFE IS GOOD -- if you have a tow truck LOL
Al

billschall
02-16-2007, 00:30
Yep, my lift brakets are there I used them yesterday, kinda cheated though used a tow truck boom to remove cab then used the boom to remove engine and trans at same time -- LIFE IS GOOD -- if you have a tow truck LOL
Al

How much is involved in lifting the cab off the frame? I don't have a tow truck, but I do have access to a boom tractor that will yank about 15 ton almost 16' into the sky.

Turbo Al
02-17-2007, 22:50
I used a one ton wreacker only had to lift it about two feet up in the air because it did not have a rad or grill in it. So you should have no problem at all with your rig.

moody
02-18-2007, 08:43
A few of the members have refered to lifting off the front clip instead of the cab to make the engine switch easier. They say its simple but I can't give you a bolt count. pictures sure look like a lot of room to work.