PDA

View Full Version : Project update: Gasser NO MORE!

76chevyc10
02-12-2007, 09:15
For anyone who is interested here is a progress report of my truck project. The project? Remove the gas motor and install a 6.2 diesel engine into my 1976 short wheelbase stepside pickup.

I removed the gasser and installed the diesel. All that is left to do is install an exhaust system and hook up the wires for the fuel filter. This is my first diesel, even though the exhaust is not on I wanted to start the engine. It took a long time to fire it up, I think it was a combination of air in the line and my not knowing how to start a diesel. I used the wiring diagram for the manual glow plug system at: http://dept.150m.com/diesel2.html at first I would just hold the glow plug button on but no dice. Then I tried pushing the button on and off repeatedly, that worked it started to fire and finally got it running.

The stock gasser exhaust y- pipe bolts right up to the stock diesel exhaust manifolds. The gasser y pipe is 2 1/4" which is the same size pipe the diesel used in a dual system. I plan to use the stock y pipe by cutting it off where the two pipes meet, then weld on a 2 1/4" to 3' adapter and run a 3" exhaust from there. I'll post some photos when its done.

-edited to remove portion about Dish, better suited elsewhere.

john8662
02-12-2007, 11:51
Progress!

Really intersting how the exhaust pipes happened to align, pretty common I'm finding out.

The idea of a x-over and then transitioning to 3" sounds like a good idea.

Haven't seen the Manual Glow diagram before, but what you found is the basic idea, should work fine.

You may also consider upgrading to the electronic controller, diagram found in the members section of the main site, for automatic control.

J

76chevyc10
02-14-2007, 14:31
I was worried about that manual glow plug setup because it took so long to start the engine the first time. But there must have been air in the fuel line because today I tried to start it I hit the glow plug switch several times cranked it over and it fired right up. I gave the glow plug switch a few more hits after it was running and the engine smoothed right out. I think its going to work out, but time will tell.

moondoggie
02-15-2007, 08:24
Good Day!

Be careful with your glow plugs. If they're 9G's or 11G's, whatever you do, don't feed them power longer than 8 or 9 seconds. These are actually 6V heaters, so with 12V applied they heat up REAL QUICK. Unfortunately, a couple seconds later, they self-destruct, sometimes blooming at the end, making their removal difficult at the very least - a job you REALLY want to avoid.

The later 60G's, & several aftermarket glow plugs, have a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) built into them - when they get hot, their resistance increases to the point that they become difficult if not impossible to burn out.

If you have 9G's or 11G's, or simply don't know, the trick is to hold the glow plug switch for 8 or 9 seconds, then get off the switch. If you want continued glow plug heat after this, just count one-two-three-four in your head (or move your lips if you must ;) ), but only power the glow plugs for the one-count. In this way, you'll be duty-cycling your glow plugs for an average of 1/4 power - they'll never burn out if you do this. I did this for years on my 82 - too cheap to replace the engine-mounted factory glow plug controller. :D

Blessings!

76chevyc10
02-20-2007, 10:33
I finally posted some photos of my project truck, anyone interested can see them at: http://dept.150m.com/diesel4.html

83Blzr62
02-20-2007, 11:52
Nice job. I think that interior is great.