PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed

JeepSJ
02-11-2007, 20:44
Searched around here and could not find it...

What should the cold and hot idle speeds be set to on a mechanical 6.5td?

Also, at what temp should the cold advance disengage? I think my switch is bad as I let it get up to full operating temp today and it still wanted to keep everything advanced.

For those who are interested, I have posted more pics - see the link in my sig.

Thanks!

Mark

gmctd
02-12-2007, 22:05
600rpm - automatic - fast = 700

675 - manual

HPCA-Fast Idle coolant temp is ~95degF

GMC-RKL
02-22-2007, 23:35
Normally cold idle is about 1000 rpm. When my pickup warms up it drops to about 400 rpm.

But lately when driving at slow speeds when the pickup is warm, when I stop I can run at 1000 or better to 1500 rpm. I was blaming this on my using criuse control, but this does not happen consistently.

I am still trying to figure this out; any ideas out there?

RKL

john8662
02-23-2007, 00:42
Check out the position of the Fast Idle Solenoid in relation to where the end of the plunger hits the flange on the throttle arm.

If the solenoid is angled funny, it will catch and hang the throttle (even when not engaged).

Adjust your idle speed, 400 is a wee bit low. I prefer 700 because it seems to run smoother with less shakes in the cab.

J

JeepSJ
02-24-2007, 10:54
I've got mine set now to just over 600rpm idling in gear when hot, and about 850 in gear cold. The 850 seems to be just fine and it runs great cold, but I have not had any really cold morning yet.

DickWells
02-24-2007, 17:57
:) Just for WIW, I never did hook up the fast idle on my mechanical pump on the Burb, just the advance. The fast idle was about to interfere with the home-made bracket for the after-market cruise control. Thing is, I have neve missed the fast idle one bit. I hold the throttle at 900-1000 rpm for a few seconds, then either get out and walk away, or drive away. My sensor for the advance goes in a brass "T" down at the engine coolant temp location. Always cut back at 95 deg like it should.
Can't believe how quickly these things start with a mechanical pump. Just glow it and then just bump the key, and it's running, hot or cold. Just one wire to the thing to worry about, and narry a hiccup in 24 K miles. That beats the old electronic record by a factor of about 9X!
DW

NH2112
02-25-2007, 18:18
Can't believe how quickly these things start with a mechanical pump. Just glow it and then just bump the key, and it's running, hot or cold. Just one wire to the thing to worry about, and narry a hiccup in 24 K miles. That beats the old electronic record by a factor of about 9X!
DW

That's how mine was, too. The only time I had any problem starting it is the morning the buyer showed up from Ohio to pick it up :eek: Of course, it was the last weekend in Jan so we'd just had that arctic cold spell, and the truck hadn't been plugged in all winter. It took some time on the jumper cables and a couple whiffs of starting fluid well after the glow plugs cut out, but once it caught it ran fine. Mechanical's the way to go for reliability.