PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Core sizes

6.5 rangie
02-06-2007, 05:16
Just wondering if anyone can give me some sizes of their radiator cores. I'm having heating problems under load and in the bush, but fine when just cruising around and have come to hte conclusion my core is way to small.
25" x 17.5" x 4core. (its in a Rangie)
Thanks for your help
Damien

arveetek
02-06-2007, 09:51
My factory 4-row radiator core measures 34" wide x 18 3/4" high x 2 5/8" thick.

Even a radiator this large has trouble keeping the engine cool when towing heavy loads.

Casey

6.5 rangie
02-06-2007, 13:29
Thanks Casey, thats alot bigger than mine. As for heavy loads, i'm sure your towing alot more than i do(750kg).

JohnC
02-06-2007, 14:10
On pickups with automatics, the radiator is doing double duty cooling the trans fluid too. On my '93 with the manual trans I never had a hint of an overheating problem. Bear that in mind when evaluating the cooling in your Rover.

6.5 rangie
02-06-2007, 22:52
Auto on seperate cooler.
Was looking at a Land Rover Defender today with the same motor (6.5), and the same problem, ran fine around town, but with a slight load or up hill, up the temp goes.
Its very disheartning this conversion, thinking of going back to a gasser or another brand of diesel engine (but really don't want to):(

JeepSJ
02-06-2007, 23:45
You might try going to a two core aluminum. Mine has two 1" cores. It is supposed to cool better than a 4 row brass/copper radiator. My core is 27x19. It is not on the road yet, so I can't say how well it works yet.

a5150nut
02-07-2007, 11:04
To bad that Rangie dosn't have a bed so you could mount an auxilary system in the back like the off road trucks. Maybe a roof rack? Or do you have any room under body? It sounds like you just need more capasity for cooling.

6.5 rangie
02-07-2007, 13:34
Measured it up last night and i could fit a 32" x 18" core in with a few mods.
Now which is the best core to use?
Would prefer copper over aluminium as ease of repair
4 or 5 core?

arveetek
02-07-2007, 16:26
I, too, have a separate cooler for both the tranny and engine oils. Neither flow through my radiator, and I still get mighty warm when working hard, (of course I've towed large loads with the turbo pushing 18 psi.).

I just replaced the radiator in my truck, and I almost went with a 2 core aluminum, because it had larger (1.25") tubes, which were supposed to cool better. I decided to go back with copper/brass due to lower price, and the fact that it can be repaired by most anybody. An aluminum radiator requires special tools if it needs to be repaired. Most often, though, an aluminum will require replacement if it starts leaking.

In your case, I would probably find the largest aluminum core with the largest tubes available.

On another note, what kind of fan do you have? If electric, it might not be enough. If OEM engine-driven, it might not be engaging soon enough. If that's the case, you can easily modify the fan to kick on sooner and probably solve all your problems.

Casey

6.5 rangie
02-08-2007, 02:40
were running 2 10" thermo fans, but am going back to engine driven that is direct drive, have no room for viscious hub.
The fan is 17" reverse rotation of a 3.9 Rangie.

arveetek
02-08-2007, 10:18
were running 2 10" thermo fans, but am going back to engine driven that is direct drive, have no room for viscious hub.
The fan is 17" reverse rotation of a 3.9 Rangie.

Ahh! I bet that's your problem. The electric fans probably don't move enough air. Couple that with a small radiator, and I can see where you would have problems.

Going with an engine-driven fan should help considerably. Too bad you don't have room for a fan clutch. But the smaller fan from the 3.9L might not make as much noise, either, so it might be all right.

Casey

6.5 rangie
02-09-2007, 02:36
Had a look at the 2 core ali radiator today, now i see what you guys are on about, nice looking piece of gear.
Radiator guy says for the one i'm looking at is the equivelant of what a 7 core copper would be! thats cool (excuse the pun)
Custom job with a 32" x 18" core, $800 Aussie dollars

a5150nut
02-09-2007, 08:43
Radiator guy says for the one i'm looking at is the equivelant of what a 7 core copper would be! thats cool (excuse the pun)
Custom job with a 32" x 18" core, $800 Aussie dollars

Still a lot cheaper than burning it up or swapping out for some other power plant.