PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Codes

bbtlr3
02-05-2007, 09:07
Hey guys, My mechanic is telling me that my burb is showing DTC 78 and has 45, 35, and 36 in history. And he is telling me that the turbo wastegate is frozen. Any easy repair that can fix the Turbo so I can avoid replacing it? I appreciate any help I don't want to get shafted by a shop. This is the first time I have had to bring a vehicle to someone else for work. As I am stuck in Iraq it makes it difficult to work on my rig. Thanks for any help.

More Power
02-05-2007, 12:27
You could try rapping the wastegate shaft to loosen it up. Not hard enough to bend or break, but just enough the break it loose.

Or, you could disassemble the back half of the turbo housing. This'll expose the wastegate, where you can pry it loose.

Jim

bbtlr3
02-05-2007, 13:28
Here's another question. The shop is saying the LP is not putting out, the IP needs replaced due to the codes in history and the turbo isn't putting out any boost due to a frooze up wastegate. My wife just drove it back from Utah on the freeway and said it only hicuped on her once while accelerating onto the freeway and threw the codes but power seemed ok. If all of these items were bad wouldn't we be getting alot of smoke due to lack of boost, unburned fuel, or at least some noticeable loss of power? Thanks again for any input. I will probably be doing the work myself when I return home as the shop wants $5000 to fix all the issues with the burb. I can do it for much less.

Bnave95
02-06-2007, 06:03
Replace the fuel lift pump and don't worry about the 35 and 36 at this time.
Make sure the Vaccum can is not the stuck issue.
The Inj. pump is working good in that it had been starting and running with out a lift pump.

65TD
02-06-2007, 06:15
If your lift pump is not working then the overheating of the IP could be the cause of your code 35 and 36.

Once the lift pump is repaired you should consider a fuel pressure gauge. While these IP's are not as easy to burn up as other diesels running with low fuel pressure is not good.

If these codes remain you might consider replacing the optical sensor if your not up to changing the IP. The original OS on the early DS4's has been upgraded to have a better encoder.

Treat the IP to a bit of lubricant if you don't already and it will last a lot longer.