PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD finds a new home

Turbo Al
02-04-2007, 19:50
For a whopping $400 Canadian I have a new (to me) 1994 TD 4x4 ext cab auto (actually it has only 3 wheels) in the Driveway. I guesstamate it hit a power pole at about 40 mph+ on the pass side so it is a good thing I have free access to a tow truck. After several hours of cutting, prying & bleeding I got enough access to the engine to rewire everything and turn her over after two failed attempts (truck sat for 6 months) she finally caught and flashed up -- sounds like a keeper but I only ran it for a couple of mins because no rad etc.
Unfortunately the clean air side of the turbo took a hit from the battery box so condition is unknown. Will yank the engine out soon and run a compression test on it to see if I can use it in the 1993. I have almost no info on the truck other than it is not the original motor and the "top end" was done two years ago.
At this point I don't know if I will transfer the computer or not. Pro's and Cons.
Pro.
Injection pump looks updated my 1993 is weak
Aftermarket FSD cooler
appears to have been "chipped"
Con.
massive wireing harness
electronic IP

The fun has just begun LOL

C.K. Piquup
02-05-2007, 09:18
There ya go.Not a bad find.What trans does it have?

Turbo Al
02-05-2007, 11:40
It has an auto trans but I have not even been under it to see if it has been worked on yet - the 1993 has the NV4500 5 speed. The fluid in the 1994 is nice and clean.
Al

redbird2
02-05-2007, 22:27
I converted a 98 crew 5.7 gasser to diesel changed over all harness and gauge cluster to give me a 6.5 in my crew cab with auto, If I was going to put in 5 Speed I would stick with DB2 pump mainly do to the work to make the conversion, and the cost of a DS4 pump I can replace 2 DB2 for the cost of one DS4 not to mention don't have to mess with the PMD. If you have the time and patients it will take go for it I took me appox 18 hours to do the harness swap and install the engine maybe a little longer do to i'm fairly anal about everthing looking stock when done with the job.

does sound like you go a good deal good luck

Turbo Al
02-06-2007, 12:01
I am lucky enough to be able to compare both trucks virtually side by side and compare the harnesses. I certainly give you a lot of credit doing a gas to diesel swap. The only downside on mine so far are a couple of harness that were damaged (shreaded) by the accident. I will probably have to take a look at another 94 to figure out where they go.
Al