PDA

View Full Version : Fuel path diagram?

nedfunnell
01-30-2007, 11:10
I've got an 82 C1500 with an original 6.2 in it, dual 17 gal tanks. Does anyone know where I can find a fuel system diagram? I love poking around in my truck but making sense of all the hoses is- well, I don't want to rely on my half-cracked assumptions and such. I bought a service manual for the truck but it doesn't cover the diesel engine, so no diagrams.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
-Ned

HammerWerf
01-30-2007, 15:35
Ned,

A quick Description for you.

81 & 83 fuel systems were kinda unique. I am guessing that you have two filters on you rig, one large (about a quart) filter on the firewall, and a smaller one bolted to the back of the intake manifold.

The fuel pump draws fuel from the tank, to the Big filter, then to the fuel pump, then to the small filter, then the injector pump intake. I think you'll find the hose that jumps from the frame to the block is attached to tubing that goes to the big filter. Then another piece of tubing that comes back down to the fuel pump that then goes up to the second filter.

This set up is a pain to prime. You can't just open the petcock on the big filter as all you will do is suck air from the outside and pump it into the smaller filter. I generally fill up the big filter to the top, and carefully screw it on. Then deal with the air buble as it goes through the IP.

Look near the front of the rear spring perches, you should find a small T-handle valve. This is for dewatering the tanks.

Hope this description helps make sense of what you see.

HammerWerf

nedfunnell
01-31-2007, 22:48
Thanks HammerWerf.

Do you know if there are any changes for the dual-tank setup? Can I assume that the fuel tank switching valve is before all of these components in the circuit?

HammerWerf
01-31-2007, 23:48
Ned,

The tank selection valve is located in front of the right hand tank, and ahead of the filter plumbing described above. The dual tank setup plumbing was the same for all years.

HammerWerf