PDA

View Full Version : installing Glow Plugs

Truckie117
01-29-2007, 21:51
Hey Guys
I installed 5 out of 8 glow plugs today the hardest being the one closest to the passanger side firewall. How do you get to the other passanger side plugs. the look to be untennable i cant even see where they are I'm sure they are in approximately the same place as the drivers side. Too cold to deal with it since I dont have a gararge.

Squatch
01-29-2007, 22:24
I have a 94 Suburban and had to pull out the inner fender to get access to them. It took about two hours for the passenger side and less than 10 minutes for the drivers side.

65TD
01-29-2007, 23:28
Yep, take out the battery and battery tray, then the inner fender. Much easier to get to.

chickenhunterbob
01-30-2007, 09:43
I just removed the passenger side tire and the small rubber splash guard to access the middle two on the passenger side, and just lay on my back on the floor underneath for the rear one on that side.

ronniejoe
01-30-2007, 11:47
Don't take out the inner fender, there is no need. Just remove the splash shield, as already mentioned, and remove the wheel. When sitting on a mechanic stool, you can look right in at them with no problem.

jmpidgeo
01-30-2007, 13:37
i don't even know where the glowplugs are, or how to replace them. :D

sturgeon-phish
01-30-2007, 15:30
Just wait, you will

xtrempickup
01-30-2007, 17:30
i watched my friend change mine, long extension and swivle and the driver side comright out on my 6.5L, the passenger side all but on is easy unless you drop the pipe and remove of the splash gaurds makes like simple and the last one o nthe pass side could be gotten by bending the fender linner out a little to get on it

bcbigfoot
01-30-2007, 19:56
I could change the glow plugs before when I had factory downpipe but now not a chance I would have to drop the down pipe.

C.K. Piquup
01-31-2007, 03:58
I just remove the splash-shield as mentioned.I heard."pull the turbo" and "pull the inner-fender",bith more effort than I felt like puttin`out.Then,I looked up behind the splash and there they were,BINGO!

DaveNY
01-31-2007, 17:29
Just changed them this weekend 1hr 5min in driveway. Pull Splash shield and removed heat shield around center plugs and slid them up the wire. 1/4 in drive deep socket set and a small length of vacuum hose to put over the new GP to aid in reinstall. Was actually alot easier than I had expected. They sort of self center in the threads. Just go at it!
Good luck
Dave