PDA

View Full Version : My turbo setup

dieseldummy
03-26-2005, 20:51
This is what the setup I currently run looks like. It is a Holset HY-35 with what is know as a BHAF (big honkin air filter) by the Dodge fellows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/dieseldummy/2b1bf3a8.jpg

The oil feed line is the stock GM line adapted to 4 AN steel brake line and then adapted to 12 or 13 mm I don't remember which. I was initially woried about vibration cracking of the steel line, but so far so good. The CDR valve is vented to the atmosphere which is ok until I stop and let it idle then I can smell vapors. I removed the drivers side battery to make room for the BHAF using only one battery for the time being and have great cold and warm starts so far. The stock pressure acctuated wastegate diaphram is utilized and opens at 22psi post intercooler.

Here is the intercooler in the grill, ya have to look fairly close to see it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/dieseldummy/Picture002.jpg

This has been here ever since I was still running the stock GM-3. I cut down a cooler out of a tractor and put it behind my grille guard where I cut out my grill. I ran the inlet and outlet underneath where the regular kits go and flipped the upper intake plenum around to face the drivers side.

Note in the first picture the cutom made 3.5" downpipe made from scraps of Duramax exhaust. The rest of it is here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/dieseldummy/Picture005.jpg

On a side note, this is what happens to a 18:1 piston when you reuse inferior parts in a rebuild.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/dieseldummy/77fa7680.jpg

This was a heart breaker... after anticipating a performance 18:1 engine it was a hard fall. Due to time constrants 21:1 compression pistons were utilized in a sleeved block...

I just figured out how to use the digital camera and post the pictures so I appologize for the fairly useless post.

Justin

CareyWeber
03-26-2005, 23:12
Justin,

I like it!!! :cool:

What year Cummins/Dodge is that turbo out of?

How did you cut down the intercooler?

Carey

patrick m.
03-27-2005, 07:22
at 22psi, i'll bet you can hear it sing a block away :D

nice job ;)

dieseldummy
03-27-2005, 07:52
Carey,
Glad you like it. The turbo is off of a 2003 cummins I beleive. I cut the intercooler with a chop saw and then had a friend that can weld alluminum, weld caps on the ends.

Pat,
At 10psi this baby starts singing and by 20 it starts to hurt my ears on towing trips :eek:

gmctd
03-27-2005, 14:27
Good post, Justin - very informative.

grape
03-27-2005, 14:46
be carefull with that much boost and stock valve springs on the intake side. They don't have alot of seat pressure to begin with.

dieseldummy
03-27-2005, 22:20
GMCTD, Glad that you approve.

Grape, I haven't had a problem yet. I had the springs set at 80 lbs when I re-did them last time and am hoping it's enough.

rjschoolcraft
03-27-2005, 22:26
It takes 38 psi to equal the 80 lb spring force...assuming the cylinder is at zero. This condition will only be approached just after TDC as the intake stroke starts... when you want the valve to open anyway. As the cylinder fills, the pressure drop across the valve will decrease...meaning that the pressure on either side of the valve will become nearly equal as the spring pushes the valve back closed. As the valve closes, the piston is moving upward, increasing pressure inside the combustion chamber helping to push the valve closed. Therefore, high boost pressure is not likely to cause valve float.

dieseldummy
03-27-2005, 22:52
I don't think I'll be hitting 38 any time soon, at least without a bigger turbo and more fuel... I did help some buddies with their dodges tonight and one of them said he can get up to 40 psi of boost... It's kind of sad we do all this work to our 6.5's to make them equal to or a little better than other stock pickups and with a 12 valve cummins all you hav to do is turn a screw or add a plate and you're outdoing new stock pickups by a long shot...

Dezman125
03-28-2005, 07:58
Hi
Yea it's to bad GM didn't have a stronger engin to start with.But if it wasn't for the 6.2/6.5,would there be the power war with diesels?
And besides i't's kinda fun to tinker and tweek.
And it's the only way to get more power if you want to drive a classic GM,uless you want to do more work and repower to a cummin's

dieseldummy
03-29-2005, 18:43
BTW, the dodges were a '93 intercooled and a '98 12 valve. After turning the '93 up and the '98 running 45 HP injectors with a performance fuel plate we all ran side by side and we were all real close from light to light... Boasts well for the inferior 6.5... :cool:

Marty Lau
03-31-2005, 09:25
Originally posted by dieseldummy:
It's kind of sad we do all this work to our 6.5's to make them equal to or a little better than other stock pickups and with a 12 valve cummins all you hav to do is turn a screw or add a plate and you're outdoing new stock pickups by a long shot... I understand but if you take say a 1995 Stock Cummings and say a 1995 modified I bet the results would be much better for the 6.5TD I mean RJ '95 Burb equalled a 2004.5 Dodge (stock) with 9 years of factory improvments, I think thats pretty darn good and RJ didn't go into the engine.
See the posted excert from the 2004 Pull off.

Ron Schoolcraft (ronniejoe) arrived from Indiana with the expressed purpose of running his 1995 6.5TD Chevy K2500 Suburban on the hill. Equipped with a BD TorqLoc and a variety of Kennedy Diesel 6.5 performance bolt-ons, including a KD power chip, specially calibrated fan-clutch, TDMax boost controller, intercooler, and performance injectors, Ron's Sub ran to 42-mph in 1-minute and 22-seconds, equaling the 2004.5 Dodge's elapsed time. Ron's was the last run of the day, and he encountered the highest ambient temperatures along with a stiff headwind in the canyon

ogrice
03-31-2005, 12:01
hey dieseldummy,

What are the stats for upgrading from a gm-3 to your current setup.?
Peak boost is now ?#'s
Hp and torque stay up to what rpm level?
Useable from idle all the way to redline or is there some noticeable lag going on?
EGT's did what as u turned the boost up?
Did you do any ceramic coating?

84 Convert
04-03-2005, 08:35
Hey dieseldummy, what kind af hose is that you are using just off the compressor outlet? I'll be needing to know soon as I just picked up a WH1C to play with.

Definitely not a "useless" post!

Gregg

JoeyD
04-03-2005, 10:04
Justin are you missing a nut on the top front stud on the exhaust flange or is it bolted in from the bottom?

dieseldummy
04-03-2005, 10:36
ogrice,
Peak boost is around 20 empty, 24 or so pulling a trailer. I have never dynoed it, but from SOTP meter it pulls hard all the way through the rpm range. There is a little lag because the intercooler is huge and takes a little bit of air to fill, but once it's full the smoke clears up and ruber flys. Generally the EGT went down as boost went up. No ceramic coating.

84 Convert, The hose is just regular 2.5" radiator hose, it works well on the engine side of the intercooler, but after all this time some of mine on the turbo side is getting pretty hard. If you didn't get an outlet elbow with that WH1C you need to find one, or I have have a modified compressor housing laying around if you can't.

Joey, The two bolts closest to the motor are actually studs threaded into the exhaust housing similar to the GM turbos.

rjschoolcraft
04-03-2005, 10:38
Is this the one with the broken shaft?

dieseldummy
04-03-2005, 11:03
Nope, this is the replacement for that one. This one is very hard to "bark" and I learned from that awakening experience to let off the throttle gently. Got to love Ebay though, it keeps my pickup with goodies...

patrick m.
04-03-2005, 18:54
tell us a little about the cam i see in your sig :cool:

dieseldummy
04-03-2005, 19:44
The cam is a regrind by the diesel depot, if I recall correctly it has increased duration of the intake valve resulting in more valve overlap for a better scavenging effect of exhaust gasses. Lift is no different. It was an experiment, I ordered some pistons and such from them and thought for $160 it would be a worthy try. I can't really say if it has helped or not, but with this turbo and my -4911 pump maxed out I only got 1150 degrees on the pyrometer grossing 30K lbs a few days ago.

84 Convert
04-11-2005, 16:53
Just opened the box that contained the Wh1C about 30 min ago...that outlet doesn't really look right for a hose. Thus the elbow I suppose? I plan to use the J intake for now and experiment with an air -H2O intercooler with a seperate radiator, so a straight shot out of the compressor would work for me. Might it be possible to machine a straight outlet? Or what does that modified housing look like ? Could I modify mine without too much trouble?

Thanks

Gregg

eracers999
04-12-2005, 05:15
Good post Justin, wish i had that turbo set up.

Kent

dieseldummy
04-13-2005, 15:05
Gregg, I just cut off the part that is on the end of the housing outlet. I have a friend that has one with the regular dodge outlet elbow that he cut down. I will work either way.

Kent, Thanks for the complements, any setup is just a cut and weld away...