PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 power steering pump hoses

76chevyc10
01-28-2007, 11:17
My project 6.2 diesel engine I got from a 1984 chevy suburban, the power steering pump has two high pressure lines and one return line. The steering box in the truck this engine is going into has only one high pressure line and one return line.

Will the suburban power steering pump work in my truck if I plug one of the two high pressure lines?

Yukon6.2
01-28-2007, 11:42
Hi
The extra line is for the Hydroboost unit in the braking system.Diesels don't have any engine vacum like a gasser,so insted of a vacum booster to help your foot with braking,there is one that is supplied with hydraulic preasure coming from your extra line.
If you go to a bone yard you should be able get one off a 3500 series truck,even the gassers had them when they were in the 3500 series.They bolt right in place of the regular vacum booster.Should be a cheep part at the bone yard.
Good luck
Thomas

76chevyc10
01-28-2007, 14:04
I don't need the vacuum boost so I should be able to just block off that port on the power steering pump, right?

DmaxMaverick
01-28-2007, 16:19
I don't need the vacuum boost so I should be able to just block off that port on the power steering pump, right?

Your pump should have one HP line, and either one or two returns, depending on the year model. The hydrobooster regulates and directs the fluid flow. Variable PS assist, if it is part of your system, occurs after the hydrobooster.

The PS pump and hydroboost system replaces the need for a vacuum brake booster. The hydroboost sytem does not produce vacuum, or require it in any way. You should not block off any ports. The pump has to match the series of hydroboost and steering gear box. Mixing/matching will give you headaches getting it to work right, if at all possible. If your pump has only one return, and an attached reservoir, it is likely from a gasser, or a later model Diesel system.

There are a few configurations, but you should have only 2 to consider, depending on which year your system is. One is: PS pump with one pressure, 2 returns, one pressure goes to the hydroboost, one pressure goes from hydroboost to steering box, and each has their own return to the pump. The other is: one high pressure from the pump to the hydroboost, one high pressure from the hydroboost to the steering box, and one return from the steering box to the pump (later models). Be sure all 3 components are of the same series. If you have any variation of variable assist incorporated in your system, that will also have a drastic effect on your outcome.

I have a NIB pump for a 1985 if you need a pic of one.